Thursday, November 02, 2006

2 Nov. 2006
Day two of NaBloPOMo. 2130, and just arrived home from 6 days away in Quebec city, Canada.

Traveling by train from Brockville, Ont. to Montreal, Que. and on to Quebec City and the return was one of the best, if not thee best, most relaxing trips I've taken. Everything went smoothly, the connections we're a smooth transition. The abiltity to rest, and read and enjoy the countryside as we clickety-clacked along the rails was entirely relaxing.



Chatting with the station master in Brockville while waiting for the train revealed that I had failed to avail myself of a price saving promotion by VIA Rail. He inquired during the course of our conversation whether I was 60 or older. When I said that I was, he told me about the promotion which allowed a fellow traveler accompanying a passenger 60 or older to travel for free as well as giving a 10% discount to the elder traveler..all hinging on making the arrangements 5 days or more in advance. He was unable to give us the discount etc. for the trip up to Quebec city due to the 5 day advance requirement, but for the return trip he redid our tickets to take advantage of the promotion..saving us $100.00.

I point this out because he didn't have to even mention this deal. This is how we were treated throughout our trip both on the train and during our stay in Quebec City. Everyone was courteous and helpful at every encounter.

I was able to practice my French up to a point; As soon as it became apparent that English was my first language, whom ever I was conversing with would switch to english. I a few instances I did encounter some one who didn't speak english, and lo and behold.. I was able to converse acceptably. Yeah!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip Rel, I love travelling by train, you can see the countryside and no stress from driving and traffic holdups. There were still steam trains in UK when I was a little girl and my love affair with trains began then. Look forward to hearing more.

2:25 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I love journeys by train! And how lucky that you encountered such helpful and kind people all along the way - plus you got to practice your French! Sounds like a fabulous trip, despite the weather.

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that was a great deal you got on the train Rel. I love trains and can remember steam trains when I was little. Although those noisy monsters used to frighten the daylights out of me I still loved travelling on them. I take the train to work, but the electric units just don't quite cut it for me.

Anyway, glad you're back and look forward to seeing and hearing more of your trip.

Cheers (Aussie French! lol)

Robyn

5:41 AM  
Blogger Grish said...

We're thinking of vacationing by train next spring. I have never been on a vacation of any kind and don't want to drive. I've never ridden a train very far either though...

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love trains Rel. Just keep showing pics of them and I will be happy. :)

Looking forward to more reports, although I don't get around much on the weekends. I will catch up on Monday.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Rel!!! Welcome home!!!! I'm finally catching up on everyone's posts and it figures you got back when I wasn't lookin'! hehe We Canadian know how to treat you right eh??? lol I'm glad that the Station Master was able to save you some money for the return tickets!! I've never been on a train before...would love to experience it one day!!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home