Saturday, December 09, 2006

Saturday, 9 December 2006

Day 343 of 2006; 22 days remaining in the year

Day 6 of week 49 of 2006

The nine cubes on this Swedish stamp make an 'impossible figure'. This arrangement cannot exist in the real world.

There are nine major planets in the solar system, Beethoven wrote nine symphonies, and a cat is said to have nine lives.

A polygon with nine angles and nine sides is called a nonagon.

In French the word neuf means both nine and new. In German, the words for nine and new are neun and neu, and in Spanish, nueve and nuevo. As you count and reach nine, you know you are about to make a new start.

Here is a game for two players which uses nine coins.

Arrange the coins in a circle. The players take turns and can remove either one coin or two coins which are next to each other. The winner is the player who picks up the last coin.

1965
"A Charlie Brown Christmas" premieres

Hodgepodge Saturday:

It's warmer today 30°F. -1.1°C.. Yesterday morning it was 7.7°F. -13.5°C..

I found no blog in my mind yesterday so I pushed my physical limits in the gym.

Did anesthesia for tonsils and adenoid removal yesterday. Kids always cheer me up. They need me to be friendly 'cause they don't want to be there!

Finished early (1300), came home and went to bed. Slept 2 hours. Felt like pre head-cold. Hasn't arrived yet but still felling crummy. As opposed to crumby.

We attended the Village Board's Christmas dinner at the Lodge last night. D. is a member of the Planning board. We reaquainted with old friends and reminisced about raucous times of yore. I was a 2 term mayor in the late 70's. Also served on the local school bd. for 9 years following that.

Started reading Stephen King's "On Writing." His growing up years were similar to mine in many ways and I've laughed and laughed at some of his recollections. (my fathered didn't run off however.)

We received Eleanor's Christmas card from Winnipeg yesterday! Thank you my friend.

My daughter M. (Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer) with her niece, my grand-daughter C.L.L., daughter of my son rel II visiting from Tx. a couple of years ago.








Question for today: What's the furthest you've ever pushed yourself physically?

2005 Marine Corps Marathon!






8 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

The furthest I've ever pushed myself physically was 36 hours of labor. The first sign that my daughter just might be able to out-stubborn me.

It was worth it, but stil...

11:33 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

And in some Eastern religions, nine is supposed to be the "perfect" number (next to seven), with souls moving through nine stages to "get it right." Lovely photo of your daughter.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

A marathon (a marine corps marathon even!) - wow! Anyone who has run a marathon has my utmost admiration.

Like Churlita, I thought I pushed myself just to get through labour without pain relief.

As`far as physical exertion alone, the most I have managed is a 10 km run, or my cardio class at the gym!

When my kids are older, I would like to challenge myself more - even a half marathon would make me darn proud of myself!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Rel, I did have music on my blog...did you have your volume on?? lol I'll have to tell my two boys about the 9 coin game...that's something that will amuse them! lol What's the furthest I've ever pushed myself? I would also have to say it was my 22 hour labour for my first son...I didn't think I could take any more pain racking my body but I held on and delivered a healthy 9 lb 8 oz baby boy:-)

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when I was a runner I would run in any number of contests. This is what comes to mind when I try to answer the question but I can't think of any one time as I pushed myself to the brink everytime I competed and afterwards I'd all but callapse right then and there...

8:49 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Thanks for the explanation of haiku Rel, now I shall have to get my dictionary out to look up some of the words!
Nine has always been a magical number - for the ancient Celts the ninth wave marked the edge of the known world.Beyond that lies the Otherworld.
Furthest I've ever pushed myself was on a 16 mile hike that went up an incredibly long,steep hillside, but I got there.Can't claim labour as the furthest as my three children combined only took 24 hours! Like shelling peas - almost!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I liked the take on Nine. Numerology says what about nine?

Pushed myself....Forgiving someone that hurt me deeply, and surviving cancer.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the card got there safely, and you're very welcome.

What a lovely pic of your daughter and grandchild - they're both beauties. :)

As for the furthest I've ever pushed myself physically, I don't do long distance anything, so my endurance tests have come in the form of the longest I've stayed on my feet without sleep, I guess. Too many examples of that to include here, but probably the longest was three days after being stormbound at work back in the day. A huge, prolonged blizzard shut down the area I lived in then, and nobody could get in to relieve those of us who were stuck there. No housekeeping, laundry, or kitchen staff were on site when the blizzard hit, so it was a pretty interesting time. All of the necessities of life for 100 residents fell to two nurses and seven aides for those three days. Hence the lack of sleep!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home