Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunday Scribblings #30-Good.
22 Oct. 2006

Today's prompt is the single word....good. Single word prompts enable us to reach far and wide for an answer, bring as many takes on the clue as there are meanings assigned to the word.
Meg and Laini, you are masters at getting the most out of us. Thanks!

*************

For a number of years there has been an e-mail circulating from time to time listing the many uses for the "F" word.

At Dictionary dot com the list of uses for the word good exceeds those for the "F" word by at least double. Good, by and large is a positive word unless modified by a negative, ie: no-good, or good-for-nothing etc. It can be used as a noun, an interjection, an adverb, or an adjective.

We have so many choices; we can write about any one or more definitions and expand to our hearts content. So many choices, so many choices, so many! I'm finding it hard to choose.

This plethora of choices reminds me of a time, as a young boy, when my aunt Nellie and I went to the corner store. She was going to buy some items she needed to prepare supper, and I went along as the strong arm (I was around 12 years old) to carry the groceries home. To reward me for assisting her, as was her habit on occasions such as this, she would offer to buy a treat, of my choosing, for me. We would enter the store and aunt Nellie would say,"While I pick-up the groceries my pet (she always called me her pet, even into my late teens), you go over to the candy case and pick something out. You may choose anything, but only one thing."





Well, let me tell you, I didn't have to be coaxed or told a second time. I bee-lined it to the candy case and its child enticing nectar. The varieties were endless to my eyes: bubble-gum cigars, candy buttons, chocolate cigarettes, Clark bars, Necco wafers, Oh! Henery bars, tootsie rolls, Zagnut bars, atomic fire balls, Big League chewing gum, Black Jack gum, Bit-O-Honey, and on and on. I was over come by indecision, I couldn't pick just one. Each item silently said to me"pick me, pick me, I'm the best."

So, in the end, I'd leave without a treat...unable to choose.



On the walk back to aunt Nellie's house she would casually say, "oh well my pet, you'll have to settle for some of the molasses cookies (my favorite) that I baked this morning." Those cookies and a glass of cold milk were real GOOD!

************






Thanks to Dorriny for pointing me to this memmory.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when my parents would send us down to the drugstore for candy and a comic book.I remember how exciting it was to look at all of the candybars and try to decide which one to get! (The comic books were much easier. I always read Archie.)

10:08 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I remember some of those candy bars you mentioned! But how incredible that you couldn't choose just one - and how wonderful that she'd baked your favourite cookies! Such a lovely memory - thanks for sharing it.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a peferctly poised memory of the surprise lurking and the utimately better than good ending.

I LOVE Molasses cookies..where they chewey or crunchy?

2:20 PM  
Blogger rel said...

They were smooth and chewy. :-O
rel

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that picture you gave me of a young lad and his aunty visiting the store - it brought back memories of my own visits to the dairy (our word for store) and (as we called them) lolly trays!
Aint blogging sumthin'?!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Rel, I could not imagine leaving the store without some candy! She would have still gave you the cookies so you would have had both! When my Grandmother used to take me shopping, she would show me 2 dresses....she would say, which one do you like best?..I would say, which one do you like best? She would tell me her favorite, then I would always pick the other dress, because I knew she was gonna buy the favorite she liked so I usually ended up with 2 dresses! lol. I mighta been born yesterday, but I stayed up and read all night long!!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger rel said...

Catch,
I wish we'd growed up in the same neighborhood! ;-)
rel

7:33 PM  
Blogger Tea said...

Wonderful little memory of your Aunt Nellie, Rel. And I love the old picture. Molasses cookies are one of my favorites too.

tea
xo

7:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'm glad you ended up with something sweet! When I was a kid, we didn't buy candy bars (too expensive) - we bought mixes of lollies selected from jars, things like jet planes, Eskimoes etc at two, three or four for a penny. Our pocket money was fourpence a week (gee, I'm showing my age)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Lol! That is a cute story. Lucky you that you got the yummy cookies, and had such a sweet Auntie, too!

:)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Enjoyed this trip into your past Rel, the names of the sweets are unfamiliar to me but I can fill in with the UK equivalents from the era. Your Aunt Nellie sounds a really nice lady and a good cook too.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

It sounds like you made the right choice in not deciding. Homemade cookies beat candy...of course just reading those names had my mouth watering!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rel

I actually commented on an earlier post of yours today, rather than this one. Oh well, you get that. Thank you for your advice on how to deal with my co-worker. It's very tempting...lol!

You didn't choose candy because you knew Aunt Nellie would have some of those molasses cookies, didn't you??

Enjoy your day,

Love and hugs

Robyn xoxo

4:14 AM  
Blogger Grish said...

What a fabulous story! Always love reading you post Rel...

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story stirred up all sorts of good feelings in me - my own pleasant memories of childhood indecision. What a perfect story for sharing.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, just what I needed to read tonight - what a happy post.

Any chance of your aunts receipe? :-)

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home