Saturday, January 20, 2007

Saturday 2o January, 2007

9°F. with 8 mph wind, Bright sunshine.

I walked to the Postoffice to pick-up the mail. Looking out the window, the day looked bright and so, I thought it would be a mild walk. Wrong! The wind coming off the river was frigid and in my face.

Still and all, I do enjoy walking the three blocks to th P.O. In my village of 450 people we don't have mail delivery. You can get rural delivery via a neighboring "city" if you install a roadside mailbox. A few residents do so, but the majority of us rent a mailbox at the post office. It can be inconvenient when working away from the village (which most of us do) and can't get back to the village before 1645.

Besides being the mail repository, our P.O. is much like the general store of old, sans the woodstove and checker board. It's a gathering place for disemination of local gossip, and problem-solving the grander predicaments of the day. Of course one must have a finger on the pulse of the community to ensure that you're there at the appropriate time. If you go at other times you have to rely on the postal clerk to dish the dirt and some times they're too busy filling the boxes to take time to kibbitz with you.

Mon. thru Fri. you should arrive between 1200 & 1215 or 1600 1nd 1630. On Sat. stop in between 1000 and 1100. Sunday? Drop into the coffee shop..... if open.

Today There wasn't any inclination to chat. Everyone was tuned to business...get the mail and get going. Saturday is usually a meager mail day for me, but since I was too late to pick it up yesterday, I did have a pasal of mail today, though predominantly junk. However my recent order from Amazon was in and made the trip wholely worthwhile.


A tip of genealogical interest...to me at least. The building which houses our post office was, in an earlier time, a store. In fact it was a grocery or as known then, a general store. The proprietor of which was my father's father. The family lived in the upstairs apartments. This would have been1915-1923. My grandmother died there when my dad was three. Shortly thereafter, my grandfather sold the store to an older brother, who, together with his wife ran it as a crockery and fine china store.

The man behind the counter is my grandfather. The lad in the rear is not identified. Circa 1915-1923

10 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

How neat Rel....I found this very interesting. My little town is much like yours although we do have do have mail delivery, but we have to go about 8 miles out of this town to do our shopping....we just have little stores around here. I love to get boxes in the mail too, would have made the cold walk worthwhile to me to!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel

Ah hah! You've been buying books, haven't you?

Although I live on acreage, we have a mail delivery and it's about 10 mins drive to the mall. The CBD is about 35-45 minutes away, depending on traffic. So we have the best of both worlds.

Love the old photograph. Brings back memories of the general store we went to when we were farming in NZ.

Hope you have a good week (mermaid) lol!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel

Ah hah! You've been buying books, haven't you?

Although I live on acreage, we have a mail delivery and it's about 10 mins drive to the mall. The CBD is about 35-45 minutes away, depending on traffic. So we have the best of both worlds.

Love the old photograph. Brings back memories of the general store we went to when we were farming in NZ.

Hope you have a good week (mermaid) lol!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your story. I adore old stores like that. There was one similar in a very small town up in north Queensland. I could have spent hours and hours in it. The owner hadn't thrown a paper or magazine, amongst everything else in the store, away for decades...he lived out the back. The store was on the main railway line and the trains used to slow down to throw out the food scraps to his many chickens, ducks and geese that knew exactly the train time-tables. Unfortunately, progress caught up with it and the store in its original state no longer exists. Such a shame.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Rel, I didn't realise you lived in a village - just assumed you were a city-dweller. Sounds like it's a very friendly place to live!

That photo is a great piece of history.

Enjoy your weekend :)

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool post!
I love old photos like this. Even better when there is a story behind them. (There is a word for that in the antque world but the brain is not working well enough at the moment!)

Isn't Amazon the best? I love parcels from them too - and ebay! LOL
I have been watching the weather in your part of the world (and Europe) with disbelief and horror.
I wonder if people now realise that we've COMPLETELY STUFFED UP THE PLANET. Or not...

Have a great week.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photo of your grandfather.

Man, you live in a small town. I thought 60,000 seemed tiny. I think it's great that your family has so much history there.

7:34 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Rel, I love the idea of your village community, not when I was younger I wouldn't have - everybody knowing my business - these days there's not so much to know, so I could enjoy it I am sure.

What a great sense of history you must have, generations growing and sharing experiences - great photos too, thanks.

All that exercise! good heavens, I am exhausted just looking...

:-)
Della

9:53 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I love the photo of your grandfather's store - now that's how a store should look. If only I could step into the photo and look around, it brings back memories of similar shops from my childhood before supermarkets ruled (and ruined) the world. There were always a couple of chairs near the counter where elderly customers could sit and people would chat and exchange news as they queued waiting for their turn to be served. I'm really glad I'm old enough to have these kind of memories. I really enjoy it when people put old photos and family history stuff on their blogs. I'm fascinated by everyone else's family history as well as my own.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, and the photo is wonderful, I love the long hardwood floor and everything neatly stacked...Now stores are ull of glit and glam..

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home