Saturday, January 12, 2008

#93...the Date


The exact date escapes me at the moment. It was late fall, 1952, I’d just turned 7. Donny, Mark and I, second graders, were walking home from Madill School. Walking beside the wire fence that surrounded the whole block that was Mr. Well’s property, we were at the half way point in the block when Donny says, “there’s no Santa Clause!”. Mark says, Yeah I know, it’s really our mom and dad that put the presents under the tree.”

They looked at me and I screamed at them, right in their faces, “LIARS, LIARS, LIARS.”

My face was livid and the tears running down my cheeks were evaporating before they could reach the edge of my jaw and drop off. I ran the remaining four blocks home, alternately sobbing and yelling back, at those two, profanities and curses galore.

When I slammed through the front door and into the living room of our house my mother, standing at the ironing board and ironing, said, “What’s got you all riled up?”

I told her that Donny and Mark had said that Santa wasn’t real and that our mom and dad were really Santa. “They lied, right mom?”

I don’t rightly recall what her reply was, but Santa died that day for me and I’ve never forgiven Donny or Mark for stealing my innocence that afternoon by Mr. Well’s fence!

16 Comments:

Blogger myrtle beached whale said...

There is no Santa Claus? LIAR, LIAR, LIAR!!!!!!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Aww Rel, this was so sweet, and made me feel so awful too! You see I was the 'donny and mark' for my youngest son and I don't think he will ever forgive me either! ( He was much older than you so when he asked me.. I knew I just HAD to finally tell him the truth or risk him being ridiculed by the other kids) If I could go back, I would be a LIAR LIAR LIAR!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Oh my...that's a date we definitely never forget...when our bubble is burst...when what we have taken for truth regardless is smashed to pieces. I loved this!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

My sister told me when I was so young I don't remember not knowing that my parents were Santa.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That has got to be our first betrayal ... it makes me almost wish the Santa thing didn't exist ... when that reality of Santa Claus hits, it hits hard.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is there alright. He can never die. Our mothers are our Santa Claus.

That's what I tell kids when they ask me if he is real or not.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Thunkful said...

I modified the Santa myth for my kids, so none of us had to face this day. Any custom that requires us to hoax our children and damage their trust in us deserves to be buried in the sands (or snows) of time.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I think we all remember those childhood bubbles bursting.

I became Nancy Drew after that finding the hiding places my mom had for our gifts. I became the family killjoy! lol

I've come a long way. ;)

XXOO

2:28 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Oh it's the end of childhood when we find out that particular truth, isn't it?

I'm not sure how I found out there was no Santa Claus...but it obvously wasn't as traumatic for me as it was for you. Poor Rel.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

It's so sad when we don't believe in Santa anymore. I had to tell my own kids, because they were determined to believe, and once you get to be a certain age, well, people will make fun of you. I didn't enjoy telling them. I felt like a heel. Loved your story.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

There's no Santa Claus???? What are you trying to tell me, Rel????? hehe Yup, learning that there was no Santa Claus certainly is a time in our lives that we won't forget!! I was around 9 when a friend told me he wasn't real...I cried for days!! xox

8:21 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Bummer. Don't ya just hate that? All that truth on a pinhead. I still want to believe and only the remembrance of a similar scene keeps me from it. Cute post - in spite of the trauma!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

This is so sad Rel. I think someone did the same to my daughter. My nasty cousin told me.... Devastating to grow up!

Hugs Sherrie

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh rel,some truths are so hard that one wish they were lies...very nice take on SS

9:35 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

o the pain of the loss of childhood innocence!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Mélanie said...

childhood innocence !!! I wish it could last forever ...

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home