Monday, February 28, 2011

 Which months of the year have 28 days?

All of them!  Trite I know; hey ya get what you pay for.

The end of February and the end of my call weekend.  I did a smattering of cases, something every day but no night work: YAY!! Night work is the bane of health care.  After 39 years in this profession, it's the night work that sucks the life out of you.  So again I say:  YAY!

I've been recalcitrant in blogging this month and I really don't have an excuse other than pure laziness.  I could blame my cold and bronchitis but I'd be confabulating so leave it as, "what is, is.

My brother came to visit on Saturday afternoon and we had a great chat for a couple of hours.  I won't relate all that we discussed, actually I will leave out most of it.

He had come into town to pick up the two photographs he'd entered into a local juried art show, and gifted me, generously, of one; to adorn the walls of the frat house.
We both like to photograph cemeteries for some reason.



One of the topics we discussed was how we both felt we could adopt the life of a hermit.  We both appreciate our alone time and are unfazed by long periods of solitude.  But after he left I did some google searching of the definition and meaning of hermit and found that even though I enjoy periods of alone time I would not appreciate that life style over the long run.  I enjoy interacting with other humans too much.  My job gives me ample opportunity to commune with other humans and even commiserate from time to time and, in fact, these interactions recharge my batteries.  That said, large social gatherings tend to make me uncomfortable and I try to avoid them when ever I can without offending anyone.  Does that make sense?
The month of February is one in particular that gives me plenty to reflect upon:
My daughter, and first born child was born in February,  My father was born and died, too young, in this month, one of my favorite surgeons, Dr. Bhat, died unexpectedly in February.  This year my wife spent two weeks in Florida visiting her mom and other relatives, giving me plenty of solitude.  Valentine's day is a time to give one's thoughts over to love and companionship and relationships in general.  Presidents day gives me the cue to reflect on our country and our gov't and the direction were moving in and how it compares to the vision of the founders, and this year in particular it sent me researching the reasons for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire.  More on that when I've had time to digest and form an appropriate essay.

And while I enjoy meeting new people and planning and preparing for new adventures there is always comfort to be found in the safety of routine; coffee, exercise, shower, breakfast, work: Its a good life all in all. 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Really nice post!!
Thanks for sharing!!!Microscope enables all researchers to see greater levels of detail clearly than ever before. Research Microscope

7:31 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I'm right there with you. I can be pretty social, but I need my alone time and I'm more of a one on one or one on a couple of people, than a big groups kind of girl.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home