Thursday, March 19, 2015

A long day??

Whenever I hear someone say, "it's been a long day." I invariably think to myself; what? you mean some days have more than twenty-four hours?  Yes, I inherently know the intended meaning is a reference to a difficult, hard or grueling day, usually at work.  But really, "a long day?"  Why not say it's been a hard day?  I need a back rub, it's been one of those days.  I'm ready for a glass of wine after a hard day at work.  After the demanding day I've had I need a long soak in a hot bath.

As far as I know the day is 24 hours long, give or take a few moments.  Sometimes I'd like a longer day because 24 hours isn't long enough to get all my tasks for the day completed, and so it is when the circumstances of my day are unpleasant for any reason I'd like to be able to play the short day card.

Some people get annoyed with the misuse of words such as their, they're, and there, or the over/inappropriate use of apostrophes, or, God forbid; semi-colons.  Me?  I'm still wondering where I can get a bunch of long days and maybe even a few short ones.  I'd use my long days while on vacation and the short days when faced with unpleasant chores.

But then that's just me.

Is that what daylight savings time does?  make the days longer?

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I could use a longer day here and there in the week...In the literal sense.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Helena said...

Oh, how I'd love the chance to add or remove hours to suit future plans!

I announced on my sidebar yonks ago that my grammar will never be perfect. I find it a bit annoying when folks correct each other on it. I mean c'mon, is there really any need?

Lest your job totally depends on it (and you get the gist, ect) then no real problem. We all cock up at times. Some all the time.

Ironically, Rel, my younger sister is an English teacher....

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home