Wednesday, June 21, 2006


Summer Solstice;

People around the world have observed spiritual and religious seasonal days of celebration during the month of June. Most have been religious holy days which are linked in some way to the summer solstice. On this day, typically JUN-21, the daytime hours are at a maximum in the Northern hemisphere, and night time is at a minimum. It is officially the first day of summer. It is also referred to as Midsummer because it is roughly the middle of the growing season throughout much of Europe. http://www.religioustolerance.org/summer_solstice.htm
"Solstice" is derived from two Latin words: "sol" meaning sun, and "sistere," to cause to stand still. This is because, as the summer solstice approaches, the noonday sun rises higher and higher in the sky on each successive day. On the day of the solstice, it rises an imperceptible amount, compared to the day before. In this sense, it "stands still."
(In the southern hemisphere, the summer solstice is celebrated in December, also when the night time is at a minimum and the daytime is at a maximum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that summer weather may be always ushered in in a similar manner -- thundershower, rainbow, smooth water and warm night. A rainbow on the brow of summer.Henry David Thoreau
------------------------------------------------ The summer broke this morning idyllically; clear sky, calm, mirror-like river, (inviting my kayak, but alas, I remained on call 'til 0700) and cool at 59 degrees. Today is a walking, strength trng. day. At 0702 I'm off! Walking, carrying my camera, and over dressed as usual; long running pants + black hooded sweat shirt.
I did 4 miles in a little under 1 hour. My strength trng took place on the dock; push-ups, crunches, tricep push-ups on picnic table bench, and rubber band bicep curls. Amazingly, such a simple routine gave me a great pump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer is a new song everyone is humming.Diane Ackerman, Cultivating Delight

Since it's DOAC, I'm off to the garden at home and Diane is off to work.
(for some reason unknown to me Blogger has decided that I've loaded enough photo for this post; it won't let me add any additional.)

At home I tended to the kitties inside and cultivated the garden outside.
Returned to camp and went kayaking. The river was a bit rough and 1 hr. was too long to paddle in rough water this early in my conditioning.

I'll try to post anew with the photos this post wouldn't let me post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home