Friday, August 11, 2006

Day 4 Page 2 Tues 18 July, 2006 We arrived at the Philmont welcome center around 1030. But, our ranger guide wouldn't be available 'til 1300. Shades of military life; wait around, waitaround. Lunch was at 1130.
They have a real efficient mess line, they serve hundreds of meals in a very short time. Military in some respects, but without the barking of DIs .

At 1300, we met with DK our guide ranger, (I nicknamed HDK, so as to remember his last name. HK was a famous person.) and went over; map reading,and some general camping rules.

We then had a shake down inspection at tent city (F20, FR and my tent), to eliminate stuff we probably wouldn't need on the trek. Went to Tooth of time treders (store) purchased a bag for my sleeping bag, and a duffle bag to put all my -leavin' in basecamp- stuff in. (It was alot :-).

Attended religious services at 1900. 2000 was opening camp fire with skits about the founding of Philmont. Back to tent city to finish repacking (by flash light; what a pain in the butt). Slept in my sleeping bag for the first time, after a shower (1 of two I was to take in the ensuing 11 days :-(
Slept well.
Blogger won't let me load the pics for this missive :-(

Tomorrow: More prep time and finally out to the field!

3 Comments:

Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Rel, thanks for visiting and for your kind comment on my blog.

You appear to be a well travelled person, makes for interesting reading. Keep enjoying your fun!

7:05 AM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi rel,
I've just clicked over from puss-in-boots place to say hello. You have some great pictures here, thank you.

Nice to meet you.
Della

9:21 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Oh.Philmont! My son has been there. Its not far from where I live. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home