Thursday, September 21, 2006


rel at The St. James Hotel, Cimarron, NM.


I was called in @ 0238 by Dr. B to administer an anesthetic to an 86 year old lady with a volvulous of her colon. He wanted to try to rectify the problem by doing a colonoscopy rather than open her abdomen. Of course, if the colonoscopy didn't work we would have to proceed with the laparotomy. The colonoscopy was successful!!! However it was 0400 by the time all was finished, not really enough time to return to bed. So I decided to utilize the office computer to catch up with the goings on with my blog friends, and make a post.

My day should be finished early (I do hope so) which will afford me the opportunity to start moving out of camp and back to the homestead.
Every year we vow to take less "things" to camp, and yet, by the end of the season we seem to have brought an excessive amount of "stuff" which now has to be returned home in one fell swoop rather than in the piece-meal fashion in which it was transported to the summer residence. Yikes! what a long sentence. that's me: either verbose or succinct, rarely in between.

A post from Flossy says she has run out of interesting things to say, and will probably be posting less in the future. Cripes, I feel that very little of what I write is of much interest to anyone... including me. I do it anyway, just to practice writing, and to make contact with people of a kindred spirit on a variety of subjects.
It's fun to make contact with folks you'll probably never meet, and to share a commonality and to reassure ourselves that in fact people the world over aren't all that different when you get right down to it. On the other hand it also provides us with an opportunity to see other view points. There are some very talented writers out there who I delight in reading.

Blogging is a way to relax (even in a rant,) feel calm and even distracted for a time. Putting thoughts down in print helps me to focus better on some things.

Who knows, maybe someday, when we return to Paris, we'll actually get to meet Paris Parfait and her husband and we can have a cafe, a croissant, stimulating conversation, and a stroll through some antique shops. One never knows does one? ;-)

For poetry Thursday: A poem be Robert Frost that expresses me.

A Time to Talk
by Robert Lee Frost

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, 'What is it?'
No, not as there is a time talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

Nice poem, it's one thing I've learned as I've got older and which doesn't come naturally to me - the hoeing (or housework!) won't be going anywhere and time spent with friends matters much more in the scheme of things.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Glad the surgery went well for that 86 year old patient!! Love that picture of you...I was also fascinated by what looks like antique furniture behind you!! Isn't that always the case, we say we won't bring much but then end up with half the house into the camp! lol Good luck in bringing it all back home!! Awww don't ever think that what you write about in your blog is ever boring...I always look forward to reading what you have to say, I find you have such an eloquent way of writing! I sometimes wonder what I'll talk about in my blog but I always seem to find something...if I don't have much to say, then pictures are posted...lots of pictures! lol Now that I'm part of the blogging world, I could never do without it and the wonderful friends (like you) that I've made through it. Love the poem also...Robert Frost has always been a favourite of mine! Hugs!

5:21 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes, come to Paris - and join us for dinner! That would be such fun. Thanks for sharing the Robert Frost poem. He was my first and longest love.

Glad the surgery was successful for that poor woman. I'm sure it meant a lot to be able to help her. You're an inspiration. Good luck w/ packing everything up.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Yeah, keep on blogging. I am quite happy that our paths crossed - you are a person who seems to be so wise, cool, and collected. And the work you do is most valuable.

I agree with you about blogging. To me, it's a very cool hobby, I find it quite relaxing, and it has allowed me to meet (from a distance) very interesting people from all over the world.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

well I enjoy reading your blog and your comings and goings....I think blogging is a good hobby...and meeting so many good people is an added bonus. well not actually meeting them but kinda knowing them through their writings.

Glad the surgery went well...hope you get some rest Rel. And please....keep on blogging!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

I feel the same way about blogging - it is such a joy to read the posts and comments of so many different people. I feel that my world has expanded tenfold.

As always, you have chosen a beautiful poem.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Grish said...

So glad the operation turned out ok. Now get some rest...:)

2:38 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

Glad the lady was okay and that`s a great picture of you :) I wished you a Happy Birthday on the wrong day....tomorrow is the first day of autumn! So since I`ll be away...Happy Birthday for tomorrow and hope you have a wonderful day. I also run out of ideas and now that the winter is on it`s way...not many flower pictures to add.

tea
xo

5:13 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Well done with the colonoscopy! I just get to type up the reports on those things and that's enough for me!

Don't ever think your posts are boring. If they were, no-one would read them and comment!

Anyway, thank you for visiting and commenting on my posts. I really look forward to seeing who has visited.

Take care, Rel, and I hope you catch up on some sleep!

Cheers

Robyn

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wandering through the woods this morning thinking about the Autumn Equinox and suddenly thought ' first day of autumn, it's Rel's birthday! Not sure whether it was yesterday or today but whichever I hope you had/have a wonderful day and a very Happy Birthday!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

AND, OF COURSE, A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

8:41 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Rel, wishing you a very happy birthday on Saturday and a fantastic year ahead! Enjoy your celebrations. Bonne anniversaire, mon ami!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I guess there ARE places where people really are different, but I have commenters form all over the world and it really does surprise me how much I can relate to their lives.

I enjoy reading your blog. Probably most of all because I am very impressed with your lifestyle.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home