Thursday, October 26, 2006




26 Oct. 2006

"Inspiration"

Currently I am reading "The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within" by Stephen Fry. Someday soon I'll write here, my own poetry. Until then I offer thse:

The prompt for today is, where/what in your place do you find inspiration for poetry.
I find ispiration for poetry in every place I'm at. For todays prompt I've choosen 2 poems, 1, to put my life in perspective, and 2, to celebrate my favorite season; autumn.


A Man said to the universe

A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
"A sense of obligation."

Stephen Crane
(1871-1900)




#############







Heart of Autumn



Wind finds the northwest gap, fall comes.
Today, under gray cloud-scud and over gray
Wind-flicker of forest, in perfect formation, wild geese
Head for a land of warm water, the boom, the lead pellet.

Some crumple in air, fall. Some stagger, recover control,
Then take the last glide for a far glint of water. None
Knows what has happened. Now, today, watching
How tirelessly V upon V arrows the season's logic,

Do I know my own story? At least they know
When the hour comes for the great wing-beat. Sky-strider,
Star-strider -- they rise, and the imperial utterance,
Which cries out for distance, quivers in the wheeling sky.

That much they know, and in their nature know
The path of pathlessness, with all the joy
Of destiny fulfilling its own name.
I have known time and distance, but not why I am here.

Path of logic, path of folly, all
The same--and I stand, my face lifted now skyward,
Hearing the high beat, my arms outstretched in the tingling
Process of transformation, and soon tough legs,

With folded feet, trail in the surrounding vacuum of passage,
And my heart is impacted with a fierce impulse
To unwordable utterance---
Towar sunset, at a great height.
Robert Penn Warren
(1905-1989)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Penn Warren when I have the time to slow down- it also reminds me to slow down. Every year I watch those Vs and know for certain those birds know something I don't. . .

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Penn Warren poem is a treasure! My ears and eyes always search for the wild geese in flight, and this poem says everything I always want to say about them. Loved this line..."Do I know my own story? At least they know When the hour comes for the great wing-beat."

Thanks for sharing this, and also for your nice comment on my poem today.

Looking forward to reading some of your poetry sometime :)

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Stephen Crane verse. I'll have to look up more of his stuff.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rem, I love the Crane poem..and the visual is wonderful. The Warren poem made me think of fall in the far northeast and watching the seemingly unending V trails in the sky, wishing I was going with them..thanks for sharing..and I too am looking forward to seeing your poems in the future..m

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been a great fan of Stephen Crane.

Thank you for that.
;-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

The Stephen Crane poem really makes you 'see' the V formations of the geese flying. I rarely have the pleasure of seeing this wonderful sight as we are not on a migratory path here. There is just the odd skein go over, probably a touch off track. I can almost here one at the back saying ' I told you we should have turned left at that last star!'

12:15 PM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

Love the poems, and I'm sure that Stephen Fry will soon inspire you to get writing your own. I'm a total fan of his, by the way - a true Renaissance man. Have you read any of his fiction? A bit off the wall, but very enjoyable, with lots of humour. As you would expect ...

2:54 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

You chose two very awesome poems. Thanks for sharing them.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Those are very nice poems. However I am not too poetic...lol. I enjoy good quotes more than I do poetry.

Tomorrow you go on your vacation...have a great time!!! Take lots of pics!!!

5:08 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I left a comment on the post below about this - great poems and Stephen Fry is witty and wise.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous contrast between the two poems - and can't wait to read some of your own!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I always enjoy reading the poems you post...those of others and your own. You have such a wonderful talent in the way you use words to make us think or see!! Have a great time on your trip and we will miss you!! Hugs!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the poems. Stephen Crane has written some wonderful poetry.

Glad you enjoy Stephen Fry, he is one of my favourite authors/actors. Irreverent, sacrireligous and incredibly funny as well as being rather a sensitive man underneath that sardonic exterior.

Have a wonderful holiday. The chateau looks wonderful so I really want to see some exceptional photographs! lol.

Take care

Hugs

Robyn

3:35 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Thank you for sharing these Rel - i've been catching up on your posts - have a great holiday! Sx

4:53 AM  
Blogger Grish said...

Love reading your poems man, have a nice day...

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home