Thursday, October 12, 2006

Poetry Thursday 12 Oct. 2006

Read a media publication, and what you get is not always what is!

MY MADONNA

I hailed me a woman from the street,
Shameless, but oh, so fair!
I bade her sit in the model's seat
And I painted her sitting there.

I hid all trace of her heart unclean;
I painted a babe at her breast;
I painted her as she might have been
If the Worst had been the Best.

She laughed at my picture and went away
Then came with a knowing nod,
A connoisseur, and I heard him say;
"'Tis Mary, the Mother of God."

So I painted a halo round her hair,
And I sold her and took my fee,
And she hangs in the church of Saint Hilaire,
Where you and all may see.
Robert W. Service

9 Comments:

Blogger Jellyhead said...

Looks can be deceiving. Great poem choice!

6:19 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Love the unexpected turn of this poem. Excellent!

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely poem!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I like the unexpectedness of the ending - it's true you should never judge by appearances either good or bad. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - you're very good for a girl's ego!

12:20 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

Love this. How true, how true.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is great..loved it, you hit it right on the halo.LOL..m

9:03 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

See that? Put a halo on us and we're little angels!! hehe

1:29 AM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

Very good lesson indeed.

I love Service's poetry, so great choice, rel! :)

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So appropriate - thank you for sharing it!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home