Thursday, October 05, 2006

To commemorate our birthday "54" adventure, my friend and partner penned this poem and graciously consented to let me post it here for Poetry Thursday.
In observance of his 54th, my 61st, and his sons 29th birthdays Don organized an excursion which led us up and down 3.3 mile (6.6 mi.) St. Regis mt., followed immediately by a 48 mile bicycle ride to Potsdam. The total milage being just over 54 miles. The weather: 54 degrees. rainy, drizzly, to overcast.....just perfect.


ANNUAL AFFAIRS

Few will climb this trail that wends
Tower welcomes us as old friends

Mountains are shrouded in a mist
Leaves blushing red after frost kissed

Run on. Mortality be cursed
Drinking life with a healthy thirst

Friends joined together for a run
A day for peace, kinship and fun

Our birthdays come but once a year
We celebrate with naught to fear


Don Potter
October 2, 2006

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to all,

What a lovely poem to comemerate a unique celebration. "Drinking life with a healthy thirst" sounds like Dewy's motto. ;)

Thanks for stopping by my poem.

DK xo

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend a birthday.."Run on. Mortality be cursed
Drinking life with a healthy thirst" with this in mind I am sure there will be many, many more!

8:33 AM  
Blogger overactive-imagination said...

Happy Birthday to the birthday kids!!

You've been tagged at my site. Be a sport and play along.
Dawn

7:15 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Happy birthday to you all. A little late, I know.

I've been catching up on your posts, Rel, and could really relate to the Erma Bombeck poem. Wonderfully said.

Hope all is well with you.

Take care, Rel.

Hugs

Robyn

10:05 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Rel, only you would find celebrating your birthday this way FUN! lol For people like me, that seems like too much exercise in one day!! hehe Seriously, I'm so glad you got to do what you so enjoy and I loved seeing the pictures! The poem is also brilliant! Hugs!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Happy belated birthday to the 3 of you. Very nice poem! And all 3 of you look fit as fiddles!

2:45 AM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Rel... you do purely just exhaust me. How good you must feel and how strong you must be, it is lovely to read your descriptions and writings. Thank You.

and Erma Bombeck, a very special favourite...

4:36 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

This is a lovely poem, it celebrates the friendship, the birthdays and the shared feeling that ' when you get to my age you can't'is only true if you let it be, which I am with you all the way on.At 'our age' we not anly can but do! Well, I guess the 29 year old isn't feeling that way yet but you get my drift I'm sure!
Of course I realise that there are people who do have genuine problems that restrict what they can do but it''s the mental attitude I'm talking about.
This was a fantastic way to celebrate.
Also followed your link to jellyhead's blog - she sounds like the perfect GP! I'll be going back there.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

Great poem and pictures Rem! Happy Birthday to all of you :)

tea
xo

6:13 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

What a fantastic birthday celebration! And may you all enjoy many, more more.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home