Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Upper garage door.


A reasonable question was raised in the comments to yesterday's post about the 2nd story door on my garage. There was some miscommunication between myself and the contractor as to the placement of the "man" door on the ground level. So at first glance the upper door looks off-center, but in reality is centered. Originally there was to be a hoist extending out above the upper door for the purpose of raising large or bulky items up to the 2nd story. With the inclusion of a wide open stair case inside, it was decide to exclude the hoist. So why was the larger than average door left? The 2nd floor was and is a gym. During the finishing process it was decided to finish it in such a way as to meet code for an apartment. It was wired to code and so can easily be converted to an apartment with the installation of partitioning walls. This was done too for resale value purposes in the future. The door was left so that in the event that an apartment was constructed a landing/porch and stairs could be built to accomadate an outside entrance to the apartment. In the mean time, there is a squat machine in front of the door inside precluding anyone inadvertently opening and exiting from the second floor.

The garage is 1800 sq. feet of space (2 floors) as is our house, below.
Below photo taken in Nov. 2003.

12 Comments:

Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Yes! okay! Remiman I understood everything you explained there right! got it! :o)

just kidding being a carpenter by trade me! myself! I see what you are doing and it looks great.

reno's Love them! (home renovations) its the aussie in me to cut words down a little sorry! :o)

have a great day! Lee-ann

7:37 AM  
Blogger Grish said...

I have an uncle that put a door up like. his intention was to build a suspedned balcony so he could walk out of his Observatory and smoke outside of the house. It took him 10 years to get it built but it's super nice now...

7:41 AM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

Oh yay, a fellow older home inhabitant! :) I grew up in an old house and never had any interest in buying new when I got out into the world as an adult. I suppose that newer homes are fine in their own way, but I love, love, love the character of an older home.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Rel, what a beautiful house! I love the colour, too.

Thanks for the encouraging words on my blog, by the way :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I love it when people design spaces that are specifically made just for themselves. I knew a carpenter when I was a teenager who did that. He and his wife designed and built a huge gameroom in his back yard. I loved that gameroom. My friends and I spent many an hour there, playing table tennis and other games.

Very charming house you have there.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

ahhh, that would explain it then :-) i was quite liking the thought that it was some kind of Monty Python touch though LOL. you really do have a lovely home x

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home you have! I love old houses like that.

And kudos to you for your pragmatic ideas about your garage. :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I'm really glad you have that squat machine strategically placed in case you ever have visitors with my talent for always opening the wrong door! The main house is lovely, it must look wonderful in the snow with that beautiful blue exterior.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I had been wondering about that door! lol Now it all makes sense once you explained it!!! Gosh, your house and garage is almost double the size of my house...I only have 1000 sq. ft! Love the look of your house,it's gorgeous!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

you have a beautiful home Rel!!! and that garage is a dandy one! I never even noticed anything about the garage door...people I used to take care of had one just like it, they also had a door like that. Makes sense if you decide to put an apartment up there. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

12:50 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

OK, well that was a little confusing about the garage and the doors - reminds me of conjugating Spanish verbs - but your house is beautiful!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

What a beautiful home you have Rem! And such a great idea to have the garage ready if ever you want to make an apartment there. Lucky you to have a home gym! One of these days I`d like even just a unniversl gym to put in the spare room.
Your wife...I think that is with the auburn hair? She`s beautiful and your son`s girlfriend looks like she is a really nice girl :)

tea
xo

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home