Tuesday, November 28, 2006

28 November, 2006

Day 28 for nablopomo

Yesterday my friend Catch asked the question: "If you could have dinner with 3 people, whether they are deceased or alive , who would it be?" My reply was:
1. My father's father
2. My father's father's father
3. Mary Magdalene


I never new my grand father, he died when my dad was thirteen. The stories I've heard were limited in detail. I know he owned a grocery store which he sold to his brother and then went on to be a traveling salesman for the Miller Paper Company.

I'd like to hear from him about his life growing up in the early 1900's. He could tell me about his wife, their 11 children, and the places they lived. They moved alot. I'd like to hear his perceptions of my father growing up.

My great grandfather was a civil war veteran. He joined the Union Army at the tender age of 16. He was a laborer, a shop keeper, and generally a jack of all trades. He and his wife raised a family of 14 in a small 2 bedroom house. What stories he could regale me with.

I want to know the real deal about Jesus. Was she really his wife? Did they have any kids? If you want the true story of a man's life...ask his wife. ;-) She could also offer the low-down on the apostles. Now, I imagine that would be a story unto itself.

If you could have dinner with any 3 people, living or deceased, who would it be, and why?


Generations pass
Take time, shared stories...life's Ode.
Bond with your history.






8 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I would have dinner with my deceased mom and my two daughters so they could all meet. I know my girls would just love my mom and she, them.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Lovely photo Rel and an interesting selection of dinner guests. I'm still thinking about this so will get back to you - I shall sit at the next table to you though so I can hear what Mary Magdalene has to say!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

You always amaze me with your posts...so very interesting!! I would definitely have to say I would love to have dinner with my dad...he died at 48 and I feel there is so much about him I didn't know and now that I'm an adult, I would love to talk to him adult to adult! The second person would be my grandmother (mom's mom)...I was only 15 when she passed away and there's so much of her life story I would love to know. The third person would be Elvis...hey I've always been an Elvis fan!! lol

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo, Rel, full of love!

If I could choose three people to dine with the first would be my grandmother who died when I was 15 and to whom I was very close. The second would be my cousin who died 17 years ago, she was the sister I never had and I loved her dearly. The third person would be Nelson Mandela, what a wonderful personage he is. I would love to just be in his vicinity to feel the love he has for mankind.

Thank you for a most interesting and thought provoking post, Rel.

Hugs xoxo

12:56 AM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

hmm, I'm really not sure about dead folk at table.

Equally absurd, I would have myself at 17, myself at 32, and myself sometime in the furthest future - then after dessert we could talk about how we got into this mess, how we're doing, and how we gonna get out of it. Life's so much better with informed choice.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Rel - I'll do this one on my blog maybe tomorrow. You are really giving me material to write on this week. Thanks!

8:23 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a beautiful post and gorgeous photo. It would be hard to narrow the guests to three. Still, I'd personally like to sit down with my great-grandfather, to ask him questions from an adult's point of view, rather than the child I was when he was alive; King Hussein of Jordan (I'd ask him about things he didn't talk about openly) and Willa Cather.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I never thought about dinner with Mary Magdeleine..and now I cannot stop thinking about it...

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home