Thursday, December 07, 2006


The day of Infamy..7th of December. Thursday-2006






The finest tribute we can pay
Unto our hero dead to-day,
Is not a rose wreath, white and red,
In memory of the blood they shed;
It is to stand beside each mound,
Each couch of consecrated ground,
And pledge ourselves as warriors true
Unto the work they died to do.

Into God's valleys where they lie
At rest, beneath the open sky,
Triumphant now o'er every foe,
As living tributes let us go.
No wreath of rose or immortelles
Or spoken word or tolling bells
Will do to-day, unless we give
Our pledge that liberty shall live.

Our hearts must be the roses red
We place above our hero dead;
To-day beside their graves we must
Renew allegiance to their trust;
Must bare our heads and humbly say
We hold the flag as dear as they,
And stand, as once they stood, to die
To keep the Stars and Stripes on high.

The finest tribute we can pay
Unto our hero dead to-day
Is not of speech or roses red,
But living, throbbing hearts instead,
That shall renew the pledge they sealed
With death upon the battlefield;
That freedom's flag shall bear no stain
And free men wear no tyrant's chain.

Edgar Guest




Today is also Poetry Thursday. The prompt for to day is a poetry meme. Here.

1. The first poem I remember reading/hearing/reacting to was … I could guess but would probably be wildly off the mark. I do know it was most likely a nursey rhyme, ie; Fee Fi Fo Fum, or eeny meeny miney moe, or Five Little Pigs, maybe Yankee Doodle.












2. I was forced to memorize (name of poem) in school and … If I was, I don't recall having to memorize a poem in school. I did however have to memorize a passage from Shakespear's Hamlet in high school. Of course I chose the solioquy:



3. I read/don’t read poetry because … I read poetry because it tastes good. I feel poetry and it caresses my soul, bringing me peace and tranquility. The succinctness of poetry counterbalances my innate verbosity.

4. A poem I’m likely to think about when asked about a favorite poem is … Robert Frost's "A Time to Talk"

5. I write/don’t write poetry, but … I write some poetry (haiku) but read more. I'd like to do more writing, but fear of failure born of a perfectionist's mindset holds me back. I am studying and trying to set aside my fears and just "do it."

6. My experience with reading poetry differs from my experience with reading other types of literature … I've read more poetry in the last 6 months than ever before. For me, it requires a different approach. Almost always, I have to read a piece outloud to "get it." I have to read it multiple times to understand where the writer is taking me. (Sometimes I veer off and go somewhere totally unintended by the author.)

7. I find poetry … (usually in books! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;-))) )
I find poetry uplifting usually. Even the melancholy pieces. Perhaps this is because of the verbage, the lilting quality of the meter, or the beauty to be found in all things, even the dull and ugly.

8. The last time I heard poetry … was this morning when I read the Pearl Harbor poem , at the beginning of this post, outloud to myself.

9. I think poetry is like … Running a 5K. It gives the essence of the marathon without the hyperbole.

10. If you really want to know how I feel go to these to blogs: As it Happens
and Paris Parfait.
There is no intention to slight anyone. When I read both of these I felt; that's how I feel. I did tell P.P. that I would provide my own answers to #s 4, 5, & 8.

Another blogger whose writings mirror my feelings often is;REN.KAT.

Thank you Dana, Liz Elayne, and each and every contributor to P.T. from a poetry under- study,
rel

18 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Thanks for the nod, Rel and for the lovely poem honouring the veterans of Pearl Harbour. As for writing poetry, I think you just have to jump in. I am a perfectionist-at-heart too. Truly, I hadn't written a poem since 1998 (other than a romantic one for my husband) until this year. Poetry Thursday set me back on the road and I'm so grateful for that. Sometimes poems in just a few words can express more meaning than hundreds of words of prose. I think your description of poetry being like running a 5K - the essence of the marathon without the hyperbole is apt.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post of honour. It's a day that shouldn't be forgotten.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Rel,

Thanks for the reminder about Pearl Harbor. Too many have forgotten.

I do like coming here to the poems, whether you write them or not. To me, poetry is how communicate feelings.

Have a great weekend.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel,
Love the poem in honor of Pearl Harbor, especially the last two lines. Today is my daughter's 14th birthday, too. I love your answer to #3: "I read poetry because it tastes good." I agree! And thank you very much for the wonderful haiku on my blog!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your answer to #9... great way of visualizing it.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a terrible time with my internet connection- it's taken so long to open this window I nearly forgot what I was responding to. First- great idea to mark the day- I'd completely forgotten. Second- thanks for the Erhmann poem, there are things there I need to hear often and I've printed it out.

We must feel very similar things about writing. I am stymied by my own perfectionism, too. And all too shamed for stupid mistakes. And I have to read a poem aloud to "get it", too. Even my own when I'm writing. - And don't worry about when to start writing- one of my all time favorites (Fargnoli, actually) didn't start writing seriously until she retired (at least that's what I think she told me once).

Thanks for the nod- and the kind words each week!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I love poetry, I just don't quite get how to write it. I start off okay and then somewhere it turns into prose.

I love the pieces you choose for your blog and the haikus you write.

Thanks for the reminder about Pearl Harbor. I've been thinking about it a lot as I've been watching Band of Brothers.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

very nice tribute to Pearl Harbor Rel. The poetry meme was interesting. I am not a reader of poetry...I dont even know what Haiku means....can you tell me?

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel, yes Pearl Harbour. My cousin went to Hawaii a few years ago and one of the places she went to was Pearl Harbour. She said it was so sad to see all the ships still there and know that men had never been recovered. A terrible tragedy!

On one of your posts you had a question about what our parents are - your answer was unfulfilled - mine would have been "unaware". Interesting question, that.

Have a nice weekend and don't freeze the lungs, you may need them later on!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out As It Happens. I really, really like this blog. Thanks for the recommendation. (-:

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me writing poetry is like getting a cold.

It just happens from somewhere deep inside. I can't explain what causes it and there is no known cure.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

The remembrance of Pearl Harbour was worth posting, I'd forgotten though if you'd asked me what Decemeber 7th was memorable for I would have known.
Poetry and I don't go together that well, I certainly can't write it and don't often read it deliberately but I do enjoy reading some of the things other people post. I do like the Haiku and, though I know it's a Japanese form of poetry, I don't know what the word means. Could you tell catch and me?

2:33 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Catch,
Rowan,
I'm no expert on poetry. Some of it leaves me cold, but a good portion of it is quite moving in it's succinctness. I only became aware of haiku form of Japanese poetry within the last few months. For the time being I'm trying to stay with nature as a subject and the 5,7,5 syllable/line outline. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about modern English form haiku:

Contemporary English-language haiku
While traditional hokku focused on nature and the place of humans in nature, modern haiku poets often consider any subject matter suitable, whether related to nature, an urban setting, or even a technological context. While old hokku avoided some topics such as romance, sex, and overt violence, contemporary haiku often deals specifically with such themes.

Traditional hokku required a long period of learning and maturing, but contemporary haiku is often regarded as an "instant" form of brief verse that can be written by anyone from schoolchildren to professionals. Though conservative writers of modern haiku stay faithful to the standards of old hokku, many present-day writers have dropped such standards, emphasizing personal freedom and pursuing ongoing exploration in both form and subject matter.

In addition to the spread of haiku, the late 20th century also witnessed the surprising revival in English of the old hokku tradition, providing a continuation in spirit of pre-Shiki verse through adaptation to the English language and a wider geographic context.

Due to the various views and practices today, it is impossible to single out any current style or format or subject matter as definitive "haiku". Nonetheless, some of the more common practices in English are:

Use of three (or fewer) lines of no more than 17 syllables in total;
Use of metrical feet rather than syllables. A haiku then becomes three lines of 2, 3, and 2 metrical feet, with a pause after the second or fifth;
Use of a caesura to implicitly contrast and compare two events or situations.
At the start of the 21st century, there is a thriving community of haiku poets worldwide, mainly communicating through national societies and journals in English-speaking countries (Blithe Spirit, Presence, Modern Haiku, Snapshots, Frogpond, Heron's Nest, Yellow Moon and many more), in Japan and in the Balkans (mainly Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia and Romania

4:11 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

Lovely!

tea
xo

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got such a surprise to see my blog mentioned - thanks!

Thanks too for your thoughtful and honest responses to the questions. Makes enjoyable reading.

7:35 AM  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

I truly enjoyed this whole meme and the links that you included...in particular though I loved the poem Desiderata...and want to encourage you to keep writing! We all struggle and besides...you really have a knack at it :-)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all of the fabulous sharing - I really love that Mother Goose bookcover pic. And "Running a 5K. It gives the essence of the marathon without the hyperbole." So true - so succinctly put.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I remember learning about Pearl Harbour in school but I had forgotten what date it was! The poem is just beautiful and so very touching!! I've always admired people like you, Rel, whose words come so easily...you truly are a writer and poet at heart!!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home