Sunday, December 31, 2006

Sunday 31 December, 2006

7th day of Christmas; 7 swans a-swimming.

'Seven swans a-swimming' are the seven sacraments and the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
















It is also New years Eve! The day, and the year are ticking away by the second...moving forward. The destination? 2007.

Being Sunday, it calls for a Sunday Scribblings prompt:



#40 - Destination



" Where ya headed, Joe?"

"My destination is yonder bar, John..... can I get you something."

" Why sure bud. I'll have a wine. Red please. Merlot if the have it, otherwise any dry red. Thanks, and thanks for asking."

"Here ya go John, merlot it is." "Say John, since it's New Years Eve and all, are ya givin' any thought to New Year resolutions?"


"Yes, yes I am Joe. My first resolution is to stay on this side of the grass for as long as I can. You know, do things like eat right, exercise more, take the long laid-back view of life. I'm definitely gonna get off the cortisol fast track to an early grave. What about you Joe, any resolutions you're going to jot down?"

"That's some mighty profound thinking bud. I usually don't make New Year resolutions, in fact I haven't made New Year resolutions since I was 11 years old. No sense, the way I see it. Ain't gonna follow them after a few days anyway."

"I used to think that way too, Joe, but as I've gotten older, we're over sixty now ya know....."

"Don't remind me, crikey, with my arthritis and high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, and coronary disease, I'm reminded daily of how old I am. For cryin' out loud, I'm a major contributor to my pharmacist's retirement account. Gotta light? My lighters out of fluid."

"Sorry, no, I quit smokin' 10 years ago. Smartest thing I've ever done. Startin' was the dumbest. Yup, quit august 3rd 1996 at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I used the patch. Knew if I could go 24 hours and not want a cigarette I'd be free. Got up the next morning, no craving...been a non-smoker ever since. I'm sure if I hadn't quit then, I'd be dead now!"

Jesus! now you're one of those goddamn reformed smokers. Shit, I'm sick and tired of you guys lordin' it over the rest of us. It's a free country you know."

"Im just sayin, Joe, for me...I want to reach old age and retirement as healthy as I can. I'm worried enough about my retirement. I don't want to pad Greg's* retirement account if I don't have to. I ain't tellin' you ta quit. I'm just sayin I did and I'm glad, that's all."

" I know John, I'm just get fed up with all this don't smoke hype. I'd like to quit, but I just can't. I dunno, I just lost my willpower I guess."

"As I was sayin' Joe, I know my final destination is the grave. But for me, I want to run up to it and jump in! When my time comes, I want them to say...Man he died before his time..I didn't realize he was that old! .... Ya know what I mean Joe? We're all standing in the same line, we're all going to the same place and I ain't all that interested in jumpin' ahead in line."

"John, ya gotta enjoy life before ya go. Can I get you another drink?"

"Thanks but no thanks, ones my limit. Drivin' ya know. 'sides, I wanna welcome in 2007 so I can get started resumin' my resolutions. Happy New Year Joe. All the best to you and yours. See ya around."

"Ya, ok John, ya, same to you..Happy New Year. Ya....se ya."

* Greg is the pharmacist.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Rel, with some very sound advice included therein!

A very, very happy New Year to you and yours. May 2007 bring you love, happiness, health, and all other necessities in vast abundance.

Getting to know you this year has been such a treat. Funny how the fates "randomly" point us in the direction of certain people, but immense thanks to the fates for their whims. :)

See you next year! :D

12:37 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

I agree with Eleanor. Great story!

Have a great new year, Rel, and may 2007 bring its very best to you and all of those who are dear to you!

Glad to have "met" you in 2006.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome writing and what a timely message.

Happy New Year to you and your family! it's been great getting to know you through your blog this year.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you Rel and have a great 2007!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel

Thank you for your lovely comment on my New Year post. If you ever come to Australia, yep, we'll have to get together.

Yes, your story is very straight to the point, thing is...how many smokers think like that about ex-smokers? I think it's called guilt or denial or something!

Anyway, Rel, Happy New Year to you and yours and I look forward to the continued banter in 2007.

Cheers, my friend!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great take on the prompt, Rel! Really clever. Enjoy your new year's celebration!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot like conversations I have, internal ones. Great story, I love the thought of the old you meeting the new who once a year to compare notes.

Have a great night. :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Rel,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My first 'resolutions' post - excellent... thank you
:-)
Della

7:05 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

What a funny-sad post. If only that story was just fiction...unfortunately it is so, so true.

I'm with you, Rel - I'm for jumping into my grave way older than anyone realised!

Happy New Year, friend!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Happy New Year to you and D !

I want to slide in that grave all used up, older than dirt, and wrinkled like a prune..I want to feel like..YES! it was my life and I enjoyed every minute of it!!! And what do I think is the secret to that??? Laughing!!! You gotta laugh. Even if you have to laugh at yourself..

Good post Rel...and I am very happy for a lot of things in 2006 and one of them is meeting you! Your a great friend. I love your sense of humor and I enjoy your blog and your comments on my blog immensely. God bless you!

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tale.

favorite line: this side of the grass.

enjoyed your wry tone.

Happy New Year to you.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your story. Happy New Year.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home