Wednesday, December 06, 2006



Wednesday 6 December, 2006

On call/hump day

Off tomorrow. (doac)

When I got up this morning I was floating around in a fog. Like, maybe the cold temps had frozen my cerebral cortex. I couldn't think of anything to blog about. So I read a couple of blogs from new commenters and still nothing clicked in my head, so it was out to the gym for a strength training session. This time of year, when working out, I usually listen to old LP records of Christmas songs on the new victrola my middle son gave me for Christmas a few years back. Instead, this morning I listened to The Opera Carmen by Bizet. While going about my stations in a mindless sort of way, I was thinking about a meme I'd seen last night which asked the writer to list their top 5 favorite Christmas caroles. As I was mentally preparing a list in my head, I decided what my topic for todays blog would be. Nope not the meme. ;-)

It's about the second song on my list, and how it got that position. As some of you may or may not know, my first born child is a daughter. M. was born in February. She was 10 months old on the occasion of her first Christmas . One day, around this time of the year, while she was being baby sat by my parents, my dad put Gene Autry's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer record on the record player. M. was at the crawling stage and was in the hall between the den and the livingroom when the music started. She began to rock forward and back in time with the music and did so for the entire time the song was playing. This was not an isolated event. She would repeat this performance whenever the song was played. This brought extereme pleasure to all members of the family including, I think, M . It was a one Christmas performance never to be repeated. Now it's just a Christmas story repeated verbally every Christmas. And now I'm sharing it with you.

M. was named after a song on the Beattle's "Rubber Soul" album.

7 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

How sweet. I bet she loves that story. It's so cool that you named your daughter after a Beatles song.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How perfectly precious. Those treasured memories deserve repeating...

6:49 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh what a sweet memory! Does she still dance about when she hears that song? :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I saw Gene Autry on PBS the other night. He was singing Tumbling Tumbleweeds. It was probably from about 60 years ago.

I think Gene Autry's version of Rudolph is still the best. I love how Gene comes back to visit every year.

I hope you are having a nice Christmas season.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

What a precious memory to share with us!! Nobody can sing Rudolph like Gene Autry! For someone who had no clue what he was going to blog about today, you did pretty good! lol

12:31 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Sweet memories like those are ones that warm the heart at Christmas! Thanks for sharing it with us, i cam imagine that you put that song on often that month!!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

What a lovely story Rel. Does she still like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? It's a favourite with most children I think. Must play it to Kaitlyn and see what happens - she's nearly 8 months now so a similar age to M.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home