Sunday, January 07, 2007

First kiss



Sunday 7 January, 2007.

Prompt for sunday scribblings:

#41 - Kissing




"rel, do you remember your first kiss?"

"No Art, no, not really. I'm guessing, but I was probably kissed plenty of times, from the time I was born, that I don't really remember."

"That's not what I meant!"

"Well, say what you meant!"

"Ok Mr. Literal. Do you remember the first time you kissed a girl cuz you'd taken a shine to her?"

"Yes I do! I was five years old. No wait. I musta been six, cuz I started school when I was five, and then turned six three weeks later. Yup, I was six. You know, I don't remember alot of things that happened to me back then, but I remember that kiss like it was yesterday."

"Six is kinda young for a romantic kiss."

"I don't remember it as a romantic kiss per-se. Don't get me wrong. I kissed her cuz I thought she was pretty an' all, but I don't recall feelin' much more, 'cept proud of myself for pullin' it off."

"Pullin' it off?"

"Here's the story Art. Her name was Jo-Ella, Jo-Ella Downey. Everybody called her Jo. We used to walk to school together on the days after she'd spent the night at her grandmother's. Her own house was just one block from the school, but her gram's place was up close to mine, like seven blocks from the school. So I used to meet her at her gram's and we'd walk together. I was like her guardian-protector."

"So you kissed her while you were walking to school?"

"No, no, here's how it happened. We were in kindergarden, Miss Bovard's class. There was a bunch of us sitting around this big table in the back of the room just in front of the sand box. Musta been five or six of us. The table was lower than a regular table, you know, like the legs were only half as long as a normal table.
That day I had brung my Hop-a-Long Cassidy coloring book to school with me. We must have been in a free time, or somethin', I've forgotten, but it was just before band."

"Band! In kindergarden?"

"Ya. I played the triangle.
Anyway, I was colorin' in my book and Jo, who was sittin' right across from me, was colorin' on a hand-out sheet. I remember looking across the table and thinkin' "boy, she sure is cute. She's as cute as a bugs ear.
I hatched a quick plan in my head. I looked over at her and said, "Jo, look at my colorin' on Hop-a-Long." She looked up, but she couldn't see it very well, so she stood up on her chair and leaned over the table to look, and when she did, I stood up and kissed her right on the mouth."

"Oh boy. What did she do?"

"She ran up to Miss Bovard's desk, hollerin';" Miss Bovard, Miss Bovard---rel kissed me, he kissed me right on the lips!""

"What happened then? Did you get your butt blistered?"

"Nope. Miss Bovard said;"well, isn't that cute, what a little devil that rel is.
Ok class, time for band. Come and get the instruments and take your places around the piano.""

"rel, that's a cute story an' all, but that's not what I meant."

"Art, how many times do I have to tell you. Say what you meant."

"OK! Do you remember your first romantic kiss?"

"Do you mean that heart thumping, sweaty hands, I wonder if I'll get it right kinda kiss? The one where you want your hands to go to all them places marked DO NOT TOUCH, and ya can't talk 'cause you know your voice'll crack, or you'll say somethin' stupid and blow the whole deal, kinda kiss? You mean the I wonder if we'll be goin' steady after this, kinda kiss? Is that what you want to know Art?"

"Yes."

"Well, why didn't you say so?

Anyway, to answer your question.....
Yes, I do. I was thirteen years old. I remember that kiss like it was yesterday.
Her name was Judy, Judy smith."
****************

Rocky and Judy
age 12
***************


Francesco Hayez painting

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

that was fun!

cool post.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed reading that! Thanks for sharing.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mine was at age twelve. at the next door neighbors (the Kelly's). It was he summer before 7th grade and we (me and my friend Tom Duane) were there playing spin the bottle with some girls from the neighborhood, and when it was my turn the bottle stopped, pointed at Danielle Bertrand (a cool 14 year old girl)... I remember thinking i was so cool kissing a girl in the 9th grade!!! :) JEL

10:03 AM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Wonderful story, very cute, full of humor! I was the girl who inexperienced boys felt confident enough to ask for kissing lessons. Needless to say, what I lack now, I made up for then! Tee hee!

Giggles Sherrie

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific post, rel. Reading it made my morning. Thanks.

thanks, too, for your always-on-the-mark comments. You're so right about the strawberries.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. I was such a late bloomer and my aunt and uncle were so strict that I didn't get my first kiss until I was 19.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both stories are terrific! Thanks for sharing.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your post. What a great read! Love the Francesco Hayez painting. I've never seen it before.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post....My! How things have changed! Nowadays if a little boy kissed a little girl at school some so-called 'do-gooder' would be jumping up and down in a blue fit, screaming "sexual harassment! Sexual harassment!"...Oh! For the good old days again!

I remember the first time a boy kissed me...I must have been a late-starter...I had just turned 16...and I was horrified...yuck...I ran upstairs and washed my mouth, thinking..."Eww! If that's what it's like, I don't want any part of it!" I changed my mind when I met someone I liked! ;)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Rel, that was the cutest post!!! And I do remember my first kiss....it was the guy who became my husband....and then he became my ex husband...lol. We were 14 years old and he kissed me and lifted me right off the ground! Then he gave me his ID bracelet to wear ( we were way to young to get engaged!) lol. Those were the days Rel....oh yes those were the days my friend..we thought they'd never end.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Adorable post! Butt blistered killed me. Loved the pictures! ( thanks for your nice comment today) :-)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was rather cute - i like the way the story unfolded. The tension was kept and it ended rather sweetly too. Well done.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie's certainly inspiring you lots. Cool...

6:06 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Awwww Rel, I so enjoyed reading this! Nowadays if a kindergartener would kiss a girl, he'd be expelled...which goes to show the "innocent" era is now truly gone. I remember my first romantic kiss also...I was 10 years old and I thought I was sooo in love:-) Hugs xox

9:04 AM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

That was sweet! I love that you wrote it as a dialogue. Thanks for sharing.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you started your kissing young! Got alot of practice in before you married your life time kissing partner. (-:

7:21 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Cute!!

Love the photo!

My all your kisses from here on out knock your socks off Rel!!

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a beautiful post. I loved the way you told both stories - the story with the little girl Jo was so vivid and the story about judy was told like a true gentleman. Thanks for sharing those moments.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay..so googled my name for fun and look what I found -someone writing about when they kissed me when I was a "cool older girl"...ha ha..It just clicked with me who wrote that so if he reads that-hi..I am flattered..Danielle Bertrand

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home