Thursday, January 11, 2007

Thursday, 11 January, 2007

The prompt for this week's Poetry Thursday: This week’s idea is to think about clichés, specifically clichés that are phrases or expressions. Write some down. Then think about what they actually mean, where they came from, and their original meaning. Then let the meaning of the cliché (or clichés) be the stimulus for a poem.

I chose the cliché, "The more things change the more they stay the same." While I could find supposition, there seems to be no definitive origin for this phrase, proverb, or cliché as the case may be. A concensus seems to point to it being originally a French saying relating to circumstances arising just after the French Revolution. If any one has a more concrete idea of the origin, please share.

From Google phrase finder: A proverb of french origin. A semi-proverbial phrase expressing the fundemental immutability of human nature, institution, etc. First cited 1859 ?

I chose this cliché Sunday the 7th when Liz Elayne posted it. This mornig at 0300 I awoke with the following words flowing through my head. I immediately got up and in a foggy state of awakeness scribbled them down as fast as I could write. Here they are; first darft, uneditied.

le plus ça change le plus c'est la même chose.














"twas a lark he said
Or, the manly thing to do.
For God and Country
And a president...
To keep our country free
From communism
Was the cry.
Nineteen he was and
Not quite ripe_
Six feet tall and
Bullet proof___
I'll make my mark,
Help win this war.
Be a hero in the end.

She was twenty-three
this daughter mine.
Of war she too
Was free to choose.
For a president
Who said:
To topple tyrants,
Keep the world safe
And free of terrorists.
Young woman on the line
For foppish pols
To make their mark
For a cause they said
was true.

For every age
A war is waged
for reasons
Most disguised....

Le plus ça change
le plus c'est la
même chose

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was really good! I can appreciate it cause my husband was in the Army, and now my youngest daughter is. My husband served in the Korean War and my daughter is being deployed to Irag. thank you for sharing.

I'm up too, a newcomer to PT. But I do it every other week, so this week is PT.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Very true, thanks for sharing.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel,

(((hugs))) Hope you don't mind. ;)

I may be a silly girl, but this makes be teary eyed. So much anxiety in your voice, but pride too.

Sassy Dewy

xo

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, rel! Isn't it great when you wake up with the words! I love when that happens. And it's always just the right words. This poem is a perfect fit for that cliche! Thanks for sharing, and stopping by!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, remiman I meant to say!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem. I love the way you follow it up with the photos of you and your daughter. Is she still enlisted?

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel, this is brilliant! But it made me ache to think of your daughter - is she there now? And how torn you must have felt about her decision, in light of your own service - in very different times. And your French cliche is one of my favourites.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Dad - I knew it would be!!! :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Rel, that was poignant and perfect.

Another thing that never changes is that (most) parents love their children immutably, resolutely, profoundly. Your love for your daughter rings true and clear.

I bet you're a lovely Dad!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That has been one of my very favorite sayings for many years.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an author who wrote a complete book by writing down his dreams. (Thinks...was it Lewis Carroll with Alice in Wonderland - laudunum related dreams?)

Anyway that is a very profound poem Rel and your subconscious definitely felt it was time to let that one out!

The cliche I've used once or twice this week is - "There are only two certainties in life - death and taxes." Probably because I owe the Tax Office a few hundred dollars and it was a year yesterday since my nephew died. So there you go. Dunno where it originated though, probably from a cynic like me!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Beautiful flow into the next generation and I love these very sage words.
“For every age
A war is waged
for reasons
Most disguised....”

Enjoyable….and so true!

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I pray she is safe.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Truly beautiful Rel and shows how your mind is thinking up those wonderful words of yours, even in your sleep! Love the way you flowed both lives together. Being French, I heard that saying many times over at my house while growing up:-) Praying for your daughter's safety!! Hugs xox

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just lovely - and breaks my heart to. Wonderful job.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

for peace.
For the safety of your daughter.
For things to change.
For peace to reign.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home