Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday 25 January, 2007

-17°F (-27°C.)


Robert Burns (January 25, 1759July 21, 1796)

I think it quite appropriate that the anniversary of the famous Scottish Bard's Birthday falls on Poetry Thursday this year.

The Prompt for this week was to tell in 153 words or less, why I love poetry.




Why I love poetry...in 153 words or less
by [rel]

When I was a young lad, a friend of my parents once said to me, rel you're just like your father…you’re a dreamer. Silently, I took offense…not at being like my father, but that he would call me a dreamer. Now some 50 years later, I realize (actually I realized it long ago) that he was right. I don’t take offense at it anymore, nor do I know for sure if he meant anything derogatory by it at the time he said it. He may have just been stating his observations.

I’m a deeply emotional person; I feel sadness, joy, hate, lust, love, anger, calm, fear, etc. seemingly, at the far ends of the emotion spectrum. Poetry gives me an outlet to express these feelings with all the vividness they require. Poetry is emotional writing.

Reading poetry is refreshing, rewarding and instructive. How other authors reveal themselves, which words they use to clearly explain their thoughts is what draws me to poetry. The cleanness of expression is exquisite, and I hunger for the ability to do the same.

In honor of Robbie Burns’ birthday I’m posting a poem he wrote which I hope reflects what I mean when I say poetry is emotional writing.

I Murder Hate by Field or Flood

1

I murder hate by field or flood,

Tho’ Glory’s name may screen us,

In wars at hame I’ll spend my blood___

Life-giving wars of Venus.

The deities that I adore

Are Social Peace and Plenty:

I’m better pleas’d to make one more

Than be the death of twenty.

2

I would not die like Socrates,

For all the fuss of Plato;

Nor would I with Leonidas,

Nor yet would I with Cato;

The zealots of the Church and State

Shall ne’er my mortal foes be;

But let me have bold Zimri’s fate

Within the arms of Cozbi.

Sorry! (307 words)

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are a dreamer Rel. You have such a zest for life in all it's glory.

"The cleanness of expression is exquisite"

That, is poetry. :)

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many people, including myself, connect poetry with emotions. It's what connects us all as well, to each other.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rel and for the lovely wee poem by Burns...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Well said, Rel.

And I'm glad to know you are an emotional person - those are my favourite kinds of people!

By the way, my grandmother used to do genealogy, and apparently (so I'm told) Robbie Burns is an distant ancestor of ours on my mother's side. My family is full of Scots, on both sides, so Och! how about that, eh!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Nothing wrong with being a dreamer Rel, they bring a great deal of beauty to the world through art and poetry.
Happy Burns Night - enjoy your haggis and neeps:) I'll just listen to the bagpipes and drink a wee dram I think!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you're a dreamer. That's how beautiful poems come to be. You know what you're capable of emotionally and cope with it in your poetry.

Better than smashing someone's head in any day!

Enjoy the weekend that is coming closer!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when men can admit they are emotional. I know way too many who try to deny their emotions.

Thank god for dreamers and poets.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's a bit of the dreamer in all writers, Rel - and that's a good thing! Where would any of us be without our dreams? I often think of T.E. Lawrence's quote that dreamers of the day are dangerous, because they act out their dreams. :) Nice tribute to Burns, especially on such an auspicious day!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

We need dreamers in this world. Like your little strength training guy :)

tea
xo

5:14 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Im glad to know you are an emotional guy Rel. I know with me, I have feelings ( or emotions) about everything...Im not sure how to put it into words...strong feelings..like when I see a picture of my Grandparents cabin, I get the same feeling everytime. Or when I am playing with one of my Grandchildren I am filled with so much love. I try not to get negative feelings...and I am never in a bad mood. I may get upset about something but I dont let it affect my whole day. I am a dreamer..and its a good thing to be. I still dream of being a rockstar at 58!!! lol

11:56 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I think it's a compliment to be considered a dreamer...it's what keeps us going in this tough world of ours! I can tell in your poetry how much you believe each word you write, how much it's written from the heart...you are a true poet, Rel, you really are. Hugs xox

1:22 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i love how you love poetry - i feel the same way too...... being a dreamer is in our family's blood isn't it :-)

and is it really -27 degrees C where you are? bloody hell!
x

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ah Robbie Burns - Dunedin, where I live, is famous for its Robbie Burns statue - usually with a seagull sitting on his head and draping him with white poop!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Wonderful post, Rel...thanks. I, too, love poetry, both the reading and writing thereof. Nothing wrong with being a dreamer....I have to say this, as I am one myself! ;) And I go through similar emotions to those you mentioned...every moment of every day, at last count!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Ah...If I had a dollar for every time someone lodged the "You're such a dreamer," my way...stumbling across the Burns was an extra blessing--had a seminar featuring him heavily as an undergrad. Nice to get back there in your post...
--D.--

7:27 PM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

A dreamer who feels emotions with intensity, and who isn't afraid to express his emotions - sounds like the best kind of human being to me. Don't ever change, dear man.

Obviously you're in the company of a whole host of dreamers and poetry lovers, rel. Kindred spirits abound in Blogland.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Purging emotions onto paper, what better way than poetry! I often find it the quickest and quietest way to express myself too! Tender men are the most attractive human beings. Beautiful honest post!

Peace and giggles
Sherrie

10:38 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

You are living poetry and that is the dream of many!

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home