Thursday, January 04, 2007


Thursday 4 January, 2007.

Today is the 11th day of Christmas, represented by 11 pipers piping.
signifying:
Eleven Pipers Piping
The eleven Faithful Apostles: 1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5) Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James. (Luke 6:14-16). The list does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus to the religious leaders and the Romans.




Today is also Poetry Thursday. Our task for this week’s (completely and totally optional) idea was to either submit a poem to Gumball Poetry or read the work of Gumball Poetry poets and talk about who and what you discovered.

First of all I discovered that much of what I read was too obscure. For me to enjoy poetry, I need to feel what is being writen. Je suis tres desole, but very few of these spoke to me. Myself, I'm a novice, a poet in training if you will. I don't pretend to be very accomplished. Keeping that in mind, some words did come to my mind when I read this weeks prompt, and I jotted them down. Here they are, unedited nor revised. I'll call it a poem for lack of a better term.
Please be kind if you choose to comment. ;-)

Poetry and gumballs
Something to chew on.....both.
Chewing rhythmically
Bringing relaxed peace
To ones bones.
Penny psychology dropping
Into your hand.
White, red, blue
black.
Each with a message
to sooth the soul
With-in you.
Gumballs---- poetry
It's all the same.

15 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

That's fun. I enjoyed that even though chewing gum is something I've never got into.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rel,

I guess great minds really do think alike. :)

Love all the sly words. ;)

Sassy Dewy

xo

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Rel,

Hope the weather and work are cooperating this day. I have to agree with you. I think any vehicle that brings poetry to the masses is good, but it needs to be understandable.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Catch said...



Gumballs

No one knows how much fun,'
how can they chew only one?

Bubbles big and small,
thats what they are for after all.

how can I have any poise?
when Im making so much noise?

bubblegum plastered all over my face,
I look like a complete mental case.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! This is great. I love the line "Penny psychology dropping
Into your hand" The phrase captures it so well. And I'm with you. So much of the poetry out there makes me feel like I need a Ph.D in obscurity in order to understand it.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

penny psychology! now that's a great description!

Thanks for dropping by and commenting :)

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your view of obscure poetry. Too many establishment writers forget that the purpose of writing is to communicate. Too much of what gets published is esoteric butt scratching. And, I enjoy your poem.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such fun. See, I keep telling you that you can write poetry. When are you going to believe it??!! xo

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun poem. I don't understand what makes a poem, I just know what I like. The obscure stuff isn't necessarily my cup of tea either.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes "penny" is the best kind of psychology.

Also, I did not know that about the pipers piping. THANK YOU!

3:37 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

"chewing rhythmically"

this image made me smile...yes, this is poetry indeed.

a fun response to the prompt.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh Rel, you are certainly no novice when it comes to writing poetry...I'm always in awe of the words you write! I can't write poetry worth a darn! lol The words you chose for the Gumball Poetry are just perfect. Hugs xox

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gumball poetry - interesting comparison. I was never into chewing gum - mother said it was "unlady-like", this when I was about five or six.

Well, I know what I like in poetry and I like yours! I also like the phrase one of your commentors wrote - "esoteric butt scratching", giggle - very descriptive.

Entertaining post, Rel.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

You have the flavored gumballs I like to pop into my mouth and chew-on!
Blush, I hope that doens't sound too, you know...Oh! Poetry here!!:)

I thought the twelveth day of Christmas would be the apostles!! Just goes to show you that living in a monastery didn't give me all the answers!

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the lines:

Penny psychology dropping
Into your hand.


And you KNOW that applies to gumballs as well as poetry, since poetry comes cheap. ;)

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home