Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wednesday 3 January, 2007
10th day of Christmas.


Ten Lords A-leaping
The ten commandments: 1) You shall have no other gods before me; 2) Do not make an idol; 3) Do not take God's name in vain; 4) Remember the Sabbath Day; 5) Honor your father and mother; 6) Do not murder; 7) Do not commit adultery; 8) Do not steal; 9) Do not bear false witness; 10) Do not covet. (Exodus 20:1-17)

DOAC today. (day off after call) No call ins last night, so a day off without having to catch up on my sleep. Yahoo!

There are a gazillion thoughts going through my mind this morning as I try to zero in on one topic to expound on. In so doing, I'm reminded of how I feel and behave when I go shopping. Shopping, not going to a specific store for a specfied item or list, but just browsing, looking, seeing what's out there. This behavior is particularly evident when I peruse a bookstore.

I'll find 10, maybe more items that I want, think I need, or that just appeal to me. Realizing that one, I can't afford to spend that much money, and two, I don't actually need any of them, I'm faced with the dilema of choosing one or two items. Tada: I then leave the store without buying anything. Somestimes this requires backtracking and putting things back in their proper place. I find the choosing too hard, so I don't.

Let's see, at this point I can STOP blogging for today, pick one idea to post about, or, God-forbid, blog about all the thoughts going through my head.

AliThinks is doing a Flickr projec called:
My 2007 Daily Photo Diary. I like this idea in general and think I'll try it for awhile. Since I don't want to commit my self to it by setting up a flickr account etc. , I'll do it as a uncommitted doit yourself project.

Over at As My World Turns,
Elisabeth has analasyis of my post yesterday: The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness,
6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control. (Galatians
Please check her blog, it's really a good take on this.

Over at Catch's place, she has some thoughts to make you get the point of:Don't Sweat the Small Stuff : P.S. It's All Small Stuff

Corey gives a great thought process to reflect on when looking at ourselves.


rel 3 Jan 2007

Stop over and wish my blog niece a Happy New Year!

Paris Parfait in her 2 January post spells out some of her experiences with rude, unmannerly people. It's a good read and the comments are equally interesting!
(some people are having trouble accessing her typepad.)

If you want a really upbeat read from a bubbley pixie with a glorious outlook on life, go over to the pea patch, pull up a keyboard and set-a-spell

There's more, but these are just a few of my friends to get you started.



Question for today: How do you feel about the Ten Commandments?

10 Comments:

Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Oh Rel...when I saw your photo the other day it encouraged me to post mine...I like seeing an image of the people I am writing/blogging/ reading about/with!
Then the panic set it...a photo of me! Catch's is right it is all small stuff!
Thanks for your wonderful blog and friendship!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel,

Thanks for all the browsing links. :)

I too face that problem in shopping/browsing, too many choices, and do I really need any of it?

Have a restful day.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Thank You for mentioning me in your post today Rel, and I am very honored to be one of your friends! Also the pictures are very good...looks like your very deep in thought! WHen I take pictures Im always deep in thought wondering if the flash is gonna go off! lol

How do I feel about the 10 commandments......I think if you try to uphold them you will at least be a halfway decent person. And there are times we have all strayed from one or another of them, but if you beleive in them you will get back to them. If everyone tried to follow them this world would be a much better place. Good post Rel.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos of you. Did you take them?

I have trouble with using the Lord's name in vain and the coveting. Not so much trouble with the coveting, though.

4:12 PM  
Blogger rel said...

Churlita,
I did a few self portraits trying out a new camera.

Coveting neccessities, isn't coveting is it?
rel

5:06 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

the soul's tranquilizer - what a wonderful way to look at it. i felt this this morning, as i woke up to glorious sunshine (much needed after the last few days of gloom).... you're looking very handsome and distinguished in these self portraits, Uncle Rel :-D xo

6:16 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Rel:-) I love going shopping but quite often come home empty handed because of wanting too much and not being able to choose only one thing...so, like you, I just don't buy anything! lol Thanks so much for the links....I'm a bubbly pixie eh? LOL I love it!! Love those self portraits of you too! As to how I feel about the Ten Commandments? I'd like to think that I am adhering to them and following God's laws but then oftentimes human nature sets in and it's very easy to break one.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, Rel, I have trouble with bookstores - too many books, so little money! Sigh...

As for the 10 commandments - it's obvious that they are a great guideline for society and life. Pity some of the low lifes who murder, rape and pillage don't read them.

However, I guess we are all guilty of breaking some of them at some time in our life, just not to that extent.

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your haiku and thanks for the nod. As for the manners department and your comment, it drives me insane when guys wear baseball caps indoors - or outdoors, unless they're (a) playing baseball or (b) playing tennis. Otherwise, what is the point??!! Nothing at all attractive about those hats. And if they're worried about their hair, I'd rather look at a bad haircut or a bald head than a head in a baseball cap. So there! Off my soapbox now. :)

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I got so carried away on the subject of baseball hats that I forgot to say wonderful portraits! And how do I feel about the Ten Commandments? I take them seriously, but I must admit to breaking at least one in my lifetime.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home