Thursday, February 08, 2007

"For in that sleep of death what dreams may come / When we have shuffled off this mortal coil."
William Shakespeare

Thursday February 8, 2007
Prompt for poetry Thursday:

cha-cha-cha-cha-changes

Poetry Thursday
More elaborate web page
Change for the better

A cursory browse around the internet tells me that articles, prose and poems about change are probably second only to those about love.
Myself, when faced with a myriad of choices, become paralyzed with indecision.
With that in mind, I took an inordinate amount of time coming up with today's post. To be sure that is no assurance of quality, only a reflection of my innate desire to please.


You know butterflies?
Think before you answer yes!
Knowledge gained from no.








Change may come
Or change may go
from within to some
others, from the crow.

We contemplate on the things we see
The beauty of the butterfly flitting on it's wing.
Did this metamorphosis , for us, come to be
A chance to change the song we sing?

To write a poem of any worth
Seemed unattainable for me,
But Parfait's gentle words gave birth
To change, and sprung me from my ennui.

In the past, I've been content
To let the changes happen.
A passive observer to this extent;
New life passed me by while I was a nappin'.

New friends out of the nethersphere
Have joined to come and visit,
Offering friendly encouragement here.
It's really not so hard to change; Is it?



Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Carole Burant said...

Well my friend, you've done it again! Such a beautifully written poem about "change". Like you, I usually do not like any type of change and sometimes fight it all the way, only to find out later that I actually prefer the change! I guess that's why they call us creatures of habit! If we only give it a chance...change can be good! Hugs xox

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

inside us lives a butterfly that longs to fly and be free.
I think you are on your way.

12:36 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

My favorite is the first couplet..Do you know butterflies...

oh this is very good.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really nice poem, and excellent butterfly pics!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

"Knowledge gained from no" that is brilliant, Rel! Just brilliant!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I'm in awe of anyone who rhymes anything with ennui. Great job.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Carol (a.k.a. Lady Wordsmith) said...

This is quite lovely. I especially like the start and your lines:

from within to some
others, from the crow.


Thanks for this lovely rethink on butterflies and change. (not to mention the crow!)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! You've inspired me, Rel!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Such a talented gentle soul :) Well done!

8:07 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Your poem is very sweet, as are you. Thanks for the nod, mon cher ami.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

The butterfly, of course. The ultimate symbol of change. Lovely poem.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hmmm "...a chance to change..." I like your take on the prompt. Insightful.

And odd that you talk about "crow". Did you mean noun or verb? I take it as noun, but...

I'm wondering from a selfish point of view as crows figured in my thinking this week, too, (though you'd have to find them in my explanation, not in the poem itself.)

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi R,
I thoroughly enjoyed this potpourri of a post, topped off with your enchanting and insightful poem. From the quote (I love quotes) to butterflies, which I have always loved for their beauty and freedom, long before I even thought of symbolism.

(It's also a treat for me to see the use of French. I can't hold my own speaking it anymore beyond laughable "Franglais", but oh I love seeing you weave it into your poem.) I shall peak onto your other site when I can dig out my Fr. dictionary. :)

3:05 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

An inspiring poem, Rel. Your words really speak to me.

Beautiful butterflies, too.

Have a wonderful weekend away. How nice of the kids to do that for their mom and dad.

Hugs

4:53 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I'm with Rethabile - butterflies are the masters of change. It would be cool if metamorphosis and psychotherapy came from the same letters – they both are the engines of incredible change. Choosing the butterfly for your subject was brilliant! Thanks for your visit sir.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi rel,

You're quite welcome to thoughts about crows I might have.

I must give credit to Chris Chester's work, Providence of a Sparrow. Delightful book, 2003 Oregon Book Award for creative non-fiction. He has loads of information about birds in there. Link to it is on my site, left side should you be tempted.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home