Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday 2 February, 2007

DOAC.

Today I'm posting for yesterdays Poetry Thursday.

The prompt? proof positive !



"I would encourage you to make your proof moving brilliant by being a little nonsensical and equating whatever object or concept you choose with things we usually wouldn’t logically associate with the object/concept."



Mathematics

Is one of the essential emanations

Of the human spirit, -a thing

To be valued in and of itself,

Like art or poetry

- Oswald Veblen


Mathematic makes sense for

Sonnets, haiku

And formal poetry,

Like the prime number for iambic pentameter.


The sonnet equals fourteen lines

Of two times five syllables.

The modern villanelle__

Ten syllables per line.


Free verse poetry

Seeks simple interest---

To be on the same wavelength,

At least in principle.


Sometime the gravity of life

Is compounded in a poem.

Accelerating with each line;

Exponential growth in the moment.


The common denominator

Is the constant: emotion.

Continuously compounding

The interest of imagination.


Emotion equals

In seventeen syllables

Haiku poetry






Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

(Or even in less than 17 syllables in English!)

Yes of course, poetry is mathematical in concept. Good poem.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Rel. Makes me wonder why poetry doesn't come naturally to all those accountants in the world.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Giggles said...

"The common denominator
Is the constant: emotion.
Continuously compounding
The interest of imagination." Now why didn't I think of that!!! haha!! Beautifully spoken, well put together poem!

Giggles

11:04 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Poetry is almost as mathematical as music. Nice poem, well done!

12:28 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Good take on the prompt! Well done, Rel!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Awesome poem. And now it all makes sense - I can't write poetry because it involves math. Thanks for solving that for me.

2:21 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

I love Haiku...

Now, Rel, about this:
"naked in the moonlight. You'll have to use your imagination...."

Cute comment you left for Robyn, I hope she takes you up on your challenge to do a drawing... or maybe Lee will?

5:52 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I knew I should have listened better in Math class! lol Very well written Rel, you have such a talent for this!! Hope your weekend is a great one:-) Hugs xox

7:24 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I don't mind "Poetry Thursday" becoming "Poetry Saturday"
As you must remember Australia
Is almost ahead of you by one day!


Good poem, Rel. :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Quite interesting, Rel! Haiku has really got me in its grip these days- to say so much in just 17 syllables... pure genious...

9:59 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Great poem Rel. Wishing you and your lovely wife a wonderful weekend. We have been getting snow all day! I love it, so much I went shopping in it!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I hate mathematics and sucked at it at school. Sorry...

10:30 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Anyone who can make mathematics out of poetry or poetry out of mathematics, is a genius in my book! ;)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

A really original take on the prompt Rel. I have no further comment - even the word 'mathematics' makes me feel quite faint! :):)

3:06 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Now this is something. Who said poetry is no mathematics or vice versa?

gautami.
Straight Curves.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Brilliant.

My favorite part (if forced to choose) was the 4th stanza:
Sometime the gravity of life/ Is compounded in a poem./ Accelerating with each line;/ Exponential growth in the moment.

I love that you quote Veblen in your introduction, I love the implied "compound interest" that you paired and paried throughout.

I love math and poetry, not necessarily in that order. I love the word exponential (and have used it myself.) And your poem is wonderful.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home