Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday 25 February,2007
Sunday Scribblings Prompt: #48 Puzzled


The conundrum presented for me by this prompt was to decide what particular puzzlement to scribble about. In reflection, I'm baffled by the number of perplexing situations I encounter in a day's time, let alone a life's time.


It seems we're always trying to figure something out. It must be a phenomenon of nature!


I wonder why there are so many more poor and hungry people in the world than there are rich over fed people........ especially when there is plenty to go around.


There seems to be a lot of angry people in the world. The angry people are in the minority. I'm befuddled as to why the angry get most of the attention, when most of us want peace, at least I do. ............... Don't you?


I'm confused as to why the same problems have plagued us since we first emerged from the cosmos. Every generation repeats the faulty behaviors of their fore-fathers and theirs before them. Maybe we aren't as intelligent as we think we are.


Or, maybe we are all just pieces in some grander puzzle and we are behaving just the way we were designed to.

***********

1. Think of words ending in "-gry". "Angry" and "hungry" are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

2. When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing.

@#$%^&*!@#$%^&*




1. One answer is language.
It is the third word of "the English language". The question needs to be spoken, otherwise the quotation marks give away the trick. This version apparently originated in 1996.

2. A riddle






13 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Very clever, Rel. It is shocking that with all our great collective intellect, we haven't been able to solve the problem of hunger in a world with plenty of food to go around...and the rest of it. Just dismaying. But talking about the problems and acknowledging they exist is a step in the right direction. Too many people seem to live in some kind of bubble, unaware or uninterested in what's going on around them.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

yes you have told us what the third word is...what. Very clever Rel....and a darned good post. I too , wonder why there are so many angry, hungry, and unhappy people out there. Life is truly a gift...I do not believe there is any reason for one to be hungry in the US. There are so many oppertunities out there.

I think we have not begun to see what angry means yet. Drugs have taken over our country. People are neglecting their children. Their is no stability in these little ones lives. How angry do you think they will be? They grow up with no morals, no respect for anything, no work ethics, and no sense of responsibility and worst of all..no love.

I dont know if its because Im older that this upsets me so much, but it truly breaks my heart. I can barely stand to think of what some of these children are living though.

I dont think there will be just anger...I think there will be rage.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

opportunity....I hate misspelling...lol

10:04 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Very good questions Rel and I fear it will only get worse. Anger, greed and selfishness feed the monster. Good post!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your questions are incredibly important. I think humans can learn from their mistakes, but doing so has to be taught as a value in our human culture — perhaps in schools. Now it seems as though people are encouraged to be very wrapped up in themselves or in the wrong things (drugs, etc.).

I'm worried about all of these neglected children, too. It will be hard for human society to evolve and move forward unless the children are well taken care of and loved.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel,
It certainly seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. When will we realize that we can not find peace while in conflict? When will we realize that we are all human beings and start treating each other with the utmost respect just because of that fact? I'm puzzled, too.

As for the riddle, is the answer a "secret?" :) -R

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

You've certainly put a lot of energy into this post, Rel.

I would go for 'secret', too, Robin.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Excellent post Rel! I, too, question why there are so many starving in this "modern" world of ours...so many other questions as well, which you wonder if we'll ever get answers to.

9:07 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Great post. These are puzzling questions. But we need to keep asking them. We will repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

May be we are made that way. But the questioning will never end.

I said as much in my post too.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

You always know just what to ask.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

What a clever post Rel - it took me some time to work out what the answer to the riddle is:)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Wow, a lot of thought has gone into that! I love reading what you write, Rel, it always makes me think and not take things for granted.

4:30 AM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

if you figure anything else to solve the world's problems, let us know!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home