Thursday, February 15, 2007


Thursday 15 February, 2007

Today for poetry Thursday the prompt is:

prose poetry


It is also the one year anniversary of Poetry Thursday.


Happy birthday PT. Thank you Liz Elayne and Dana for your dedication, and perserverance in building a beautiful site.

Today Dana has asked us to take a look at prose poetry and If you are familiar with this form, you could share your definition of it or talk about what ingredients result in a successful prose poem. You could also discuss why some writers regard this form with such contempt. If you are new to prose poetry, you could look into this form and share what you’ve learned about it.

I confess that I'd never heard of prose poetry until last week when Dana introduced me to it in her post. For today, I researched this form some, but not thoroughly. I'll share with you what thoughts are currently bouncing around in my head concerning this form. Realizing that this form has been around for a long time tells me that there probably is some validity to it as a separate writing form from either prose or poetry. That said, I still can't wrap my brain around this concept with any sense of comprehension. Below is my first attempt at prose poetry.



PROETRY CONUNDRUM

I met you just recently; introduced by a mutual acquaintance with common interests. Exploring you, confusion seeped into my pre-frontal cortex. Outside the box no rule ruled; gray scale ideas befuddled me. Learning that your parents were Hermes and Aphrodite enlightened my conundrum, and as I accept the dysphoria, understand more my muddlement. In the days to come your form will become less important and the message/story more .

Pondering, pondering....whether the joining with Salamacis makes an improvement over your separate forms or no, I must spend more time with you to find an answer. Gliding from the shore we will float the main stream together and see what we shall see. And you will show the best of you as do I. Take my Hand and teach me!

17 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOL I loved it and it felt like prose to me, but what do I know ;)

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel,

I share your confusion and inexperience, so I don't know that I can really offer any advice, but I do like the piece. I especially like the personification of the very form you're using, and speaking to it in the second person--clever!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This is very clever, very sweet (without putting it down, I mean sweet in a non-cliched way) - the idea of the joining of the two forms - giving them names - personifying them - adds to the charm. And then the journey - or quest - like any good story you have to have a quest. Well done indeed. It's definitely a prose poem.(Cos I said so, and I am a reader with reader's rights!)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

That truly is beautiful Rel...well done. Hope your day was a good one! I'm still trying to thaw out after coming home from bringing my mom shopping and out to dinner!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Jone said...

This was amazing. I was instantly pulled in.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Hmm, very mysterious, Rel. I certainly was intrigued. I like it!

3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*scratches head* Well, you sure have confused me as well! Yes, please teach me Rel. :)

Thanks btw for your kind words about my prose. I thought of you when I was writing it, I'm so glad I got it right.

Rose

xo

3:49 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

mmm, that's was lovely... and happy belated V day to you - hope you had a good day :-)

6:49 AM  
Blogger twilightspider said...

Rel -

I think you hit the nail on the head here - both in form and in your wonderful story of it. I too love the personification and also your speaker's (your) open-hearted willingness throughout the piece to be swept up by the "proetry".

Love it.

11:27 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Very clever take on the prompt, Rel. Well done!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I don't understand prose poetry very well either, but I loved that piece.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

As a totally non-poetic person I think your effort is excellent - I must admit I'm very conservative though and like my poems to be of the 'The Assysian came down like a wolf on the fold' variety - ie ryhtmic and rhyming. Haiku is also added to the list since you introduced me to it - but then that's a very ancient form of poetry too. Just call me stick-in-the-mud:)

3:17 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

G'day Rel...I would, if I was capable, write you a bit of prose poetry...just for the fun of it...but I had a lengthy luncheon here today...and I'm presently playing some music, bopping along to it and still sipping on a wine! I'm baaaaaaaad! So, instead...I'm posting here a bit of silly verse I wrote a few months ago!

Lochinvar

Throughout the years wide and afar
Treading life’s meandering highway
Defying the ebb stemming the flow
Beating hurdles and conquering brae
Wistfully searching high seeking low
For him… her Lochinvar


Succumbing she wished upon a star
Only to find emptiness heartache pain
When giving her heart problems arose
Another’s love so often he would feign
And how badly she hurt nobody knows
Her quest… for Lochinvar

Exploring far and wide it was bizarre
If victorious what then would she do
A life complete with happiness and bliss
Or with tear-filled eyes bidding him adieu
A doleful smile a lingering farewell kiss
Or perhaps she’d pickle him in a jar
He…her beloved Lochinvar

5:54 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Rel

Poetry prose? Never heard of it, but I liked what you wrote. Actually, it reminds me a little of Shakespeare's writing in a way, this poetry prose thing. But I'm certainly no expert, just my opinion.

Have a great weekend.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed reading your clever take on the prompt.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, rel. Especially enjoyed "In the days to come your form will become less important and the message/story more." Isn't that the truth with just about everything--the message is more important than the messenger. So full of wisdom.
Thank you for the reminder.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

Cool. The more I make my rounds reading prose poems, the more I begin (I think) to grasp the idea of prose poetry.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home