Sunday, April 08, 2007


#54 - In the news. . .

Obituaries

The news, the purveyor of ‘new things,’ dies at 606

By Limerace Orgilis Lebeau

Published April 8, 2007

The News, a disseminator of new happenings. Enjoyed a long history of keeping humans up to speed on the affairs of the day through diverse outlets both print and wireless, died today, April 8, 2007 at the world’s doorstep. The News was 606.

The death was announced by Google, with whom The News had become closely affiliated with in recent years.

Since the 15th century The News has brought reports of recent events including; births, marriages, deaths and local as well as wider ranging events to the awareness of the masses. Amassing the goings on of world events such as wars, elections, natural disasters, public works projects, crime and attendant punishments, It provided unbiased information. This was always a source of pride and accomplishment for The News and the journalists who worked for It.

In the past five or so years as reporting became shallower, and thinner, the health of The News declined. The stress of the continuous pressure from the corporate owners and the advertisers weakened The News to the point where it was too much of a burden to live under. The line between information and entertainment became less distinct. The old culture of reporting became overwhelmed by arguing. Less attention was paid to complex issues, and reporting became incorrect and careless. Those with the expertise to resuscitate The News were too busy making trees into dollars to attend to saving the news.

The News leaves behind thousands of journalists mourning its demise. The News bequeathed to the journalists, as well as the people of the world;

The Blog


20 Comments:

Blogger Kamsin said...

Clever and witty post! I'm not sure the news is dead just yet, I for one am still just as addicted to "traditional" news forms but I can see how the blogosphere is taking an ever increasing role is shaping how I think about the world. Long live the blog (and there's room for TV and newspapers too!);)!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

A terrific originality to your post. :-)

7:03 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

If you've got a problem...I can help!

I've got two strong arms...I can help!

I have a strong heart...I can help!

I have an open mind...I can help!

You don't need help...isn't that great!

But I'm always here....doesn't that help!?

8:13 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Brilliant! Well done, Rel. xo

8:46 AM  
Blogger January said...

It does seem we're leaning that way. But I think there are enough skeptics to keep the news alive a little while longer.

Clever take on the prompt!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I don't like the thought of you being alone on Easter but you seem ok with it:-) We've now had Brunch and everyone is relaxing so I'm taking a few minutes to visit and wish my friends a very Happy Easter!! Then it will be time to start fixing Easter dinner:-) xox

11:12 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Very original take. But then it is expected of you..:D

12:01 PM  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Sad (brilliant) obit to the News. But ressurection is found in the Blog! Much peace, JP

12:59 PM  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

I think you are absolutely right on about the death of news---the lines between entertainment and news became blurred and bias and argument have taken over. I feel sure you have seen the email that has been circulating for a couple of years, tho it just came around to me again, about the death of good sense. It surely express a sad truth. I think yours about news is just as accurate.
Good post!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Ah, you hit the mark with this one, Rel...
Sad, but true...

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So brilliant, Rel! It is succinct, witty and completely accurate.If it were not for blogging, I think the affairs of the world would be much worse.

So, perhaps blogging can save the world. Interesting thought...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

The news is no longer the news...it is a ratings competition and the repetition of it is boring. So long news....hello blogging!

How was your sandwich?

10:26 PM  
Blogger Jone said...

Bravo, well done, Rel. As mentioned in mine, I notice I am reading the paper less these days because I can read somuch online.
Loved the picture at the end.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

The News...nowadays just a waste of a few good trees. Very original post, Rel. It does seem as if the net has taken over from most other media, doesn't it?

How's the one man Easter going? I'll get that pie recipe and put in a post...someone else was interested, too.

Cheers

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Rel and so true. Good thing you have me. :)

Rose

xo

8:49 AM  
Blogger Sunday Scribblings said...

Ah, sigh... too true. But isn't it still alive in other countries, at least a little more than the US?

I saw a funny little video on the web last night where a guy held up a newspaper and refered to it as the "litter version of the internet" and then crumpled it up and threw it away. Oy!
-Laini

12:14 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Hopefully not dead, just ailing. Surely with an ambitious younger brother to step up and take over.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Fortunately in the UK we do still have a couple of decent newspapers but, on the rare occasions that I read or watch the news, I view it with a degree of scepticism - the views are often slanted and what people have supposedly said is taken out of context. This is a clever take on the prompt and a true observation that you have made. Nice to see M.Lebeau again, I trust he won't be unemployed now? I expect he'll go freelance.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Thanks for telling us the news on the news.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I must say that the young adults of today have no awareness of the professionalism that the news used to achieve. Of course, if they did have an awareness, they probably wouldn't care much anyway. Sad.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home