Thursday, April 12, 2007


Kurt Vonnegut died today he was 84. I think that's a good age to die. I think I'll aim for 84. I mean....we all have to kick the bucket, it's in the script_ right?

So why not pick the age you want to go and then work backwards to now and figure out how you're going to achieve that goal?

Reading my blog roll (is that something you eat? Would only a poet think that?) today, I came to Kristin's and she had a link to the NYT obit for Kurt Vonnegut. As I was reading the obit the word melancholy (I love words, don't you?) not only grazed my stream of consciousness, but infused my body...every fiber. I don't know why. I guess it one of those mysteries of the universe. I realized that I've always had a problem understanding that word, melancholy. It never conjured up an image in my mind before now. Don't misunderstand, I've had plenty of times when I was sad, despondent but the word melancholy never seemed to be the word to describe my feelings.

Kurt Vonnegut died today:

So it goes.
*********************


His last book, in 2005, was a collection of biographical essays, “A Man Without a Country.” It, too, was a best seller.

It concludes with a poem written by Mr. Vonnegut called “Requiem,” which has these closing lines:

When the last living thing

has died on account of us,

how poetical it would be

if Earth could say,

in a voice floating up

perhaps

from the floor

of the Grand Canyon,

“It is done.”

People did not like it here.

*******************

"The gravity is very light today. I have an erection as a result of that. All males have erections on days like this."
Kurt Vonnegut

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I think Mr Vonnegut has had a premonition with his final words in "Requim". Shivery stuff. Then he goes in the opposite direction with his words about his erection...lmao!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Rel, you definitely earned the thinking blogger award my friend!

Need you ask an avid scrabble player if they love words? I do indeed! Always a joy to learn new ones too!

Talk about mood swings! I’m certainly glad he had an erection after that requiem of melancholy!

I think you should live to 100 it’s a better number and you have an large amalgam of writing to do!
Giggles from Giggles!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

This was a wonderful reflection on Vonnegut... and indeed, melancholy seems to be a pervading word for today's world.
Oh, and thank you, Rel, for your very kind comments on my poem about daddy... I wonder if our fathers have met yet? I hope so...

11:45 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for days of light gravity! This could be a very interesting hobby!

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel — I agree with Giggles. Go for 100!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Well obviously Kurt Vonnegut was never a shy retiring type. That last quote - what a concept!

84 sounds about right to me, too. Being too old looks like hard work.

Have a wonderful weekend, Rel.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love 'Requiem' its his only poem I've read, can't remember where I've read it before though. 84 sounds like a good age to me too.

4:06 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I liked this post. I have read him. And Liked too.

We can't chose death, it choses us.
Saying that, as my grand ma is still going strong at 91, why not think of living beyond 90?

After 80,any more years should be bonus!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Rel for your friendship. I hope you live many more years.

(((hugs)))

Rose

xo

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Rel,

I don't think gravity, light of otherwise, is much needed. :)

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

great tribute to a great author. I was sad to read about his death, to me 84 is too young. i go along with giggles... I'm shooting for that 100th year.
(congrats on the thinking award!)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'm sorry to say I had never heard of Kurt Vonnegut...I know, I'm so deprived...or I should go out more! lol Sounds like he was a wonderful writer and poet. This is one of the reasons I love coming to your blog...I learn something new so often!! As for how long we want to live...I had a friend who always said she wouldn't mind only living until she was 75....when she turned 75 she said oops, nope I'm not ready yet! lol xox

1:40 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Kurt Vonnegut used to live here for years. I sadly never got to hear him read, but I had seen him around town here and there.

I loved his work.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

I can't remember which newspaper site I nabbed this from, but it was so good that I had to save it:

To Mr. Vonnegut, the only possible redemption for the madness and apparent meaninglessness of existence was human kindness. The title character in his 1965 novel, “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater,” summed up his philosophy:

“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ ”

Didn't he nail it with that last statement? But I like your "erection" quote, too. Such an expressive writer. ;)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I've been on spring break but enjoyed the posts I've missed over coffee today. Monday's post was thought provoking and congrats on your well deserved award. I'd bet you are the same Rel in person :)

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home