Sunday, May 06, 2007


#58 - Ocean


The prompt this week is Ocean. Whatever that inspires in you. Childhood trips to the sea; living near it; not living near it; crossing oceans for travel, for migration; the mystery of the ocean; the rising ocean. Let's see what you come up with. Happy scribbling!

The ocean beckons with it's luring surf sounds slapping the shore....calling; come to me, stay with me. I will cradle you, surround you with the peaceful tranquility you desire. Come to me, come to me. It lures you and me just as it lured Jules Verne (20,000 Leagues under the sea), and Herman Melville (Moby Dick). The ocean plays a significant role in a prodigious number of novels, such as Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" and Tobias Smollett's Peregrine Pickle" wherein he introduces us to Davey Jones' locker. Let's not forget Daniel Defoe's, Robinson Crusoe.
Of course I could go on and on listing more novels, essays, poems and scientific papers that deal with the ocean. Suffice it to say that the Brobdingnagian body of water that occupies earth's gargantuan trough has given us plenty of inspiration. So much so, infact, that when I read this week's prompt I was paralyzed with indecision as to what to write, for fear that it would appear trite and inane.
I've settled on a retelling of a description told to me by a friend as we sat on the beach one night on Hilton head Island. I met Doctor Lambed Kroner while we were both attending an anesthesia conference. It turns out that Lamb is a close friend of my friend Limerace Lebeau. Once we discovered the mutual friendship we got along like long lost fraternity brothers.


Sitting on the beach, sipping our wine and enjoying the cool night air of spring, Lamb and I were waxing nostalgically about how we were affected by the allure of the ocean. The discussion was enhance by the full moon and star filled, almost, cloudless sky. The ensuing reverie brought forth this discourse from Lamb:
"I've always thought of the ocean as a women, a lover."
I said, " that's an interesting thought, care to elaborate?"
"Ok rel, think about the ocean like this. She is beautiful. Look at her, gentle sensuous curves, undulating in the moon light. She sings to us from the shore; come to me my love, I'm waiting for you. As she washes the shore line with her whispers she beckons, I'm drawn to her irresistibly. I want to touch her and feel her caress on my skin as she accepts me slowly entering her. I feel her gently undulating against me, coaxing me closer, deeper. She has my full attention now. She accepts my body as I glide down and lay upon her. Our lips touch and I taste her and she me. We twist and turn together, entwining, sensing the innuendo in each embrace, the longing for total togetherness. We move together in complete synchrony and at last we are one. As she probes my ear, I nuzzle her neck, stroke her back with my finger tips. This tantalizing titillation brings us close to the climax of our encounter. She buoys me while I continue to explore her depths. When, alas, I exit her...spent, relaxed, completely sated I still feel her essence on me and feel her satisfaction and know she will welcome my return."

"The ocean isn't always this calm and accommodating Lamb. Some times she's quite roiled-up?"

"Oh my yes, isn't it awesome to witness her power, the surge, the all encompassing control. I find her all the more erotic with these displays of temper. I am however not fool enough to attempt a nestling encounter at those times. But It does increase her allure, don't you agree rel."

"I'll ponder your ideas and see if I can share your vision."

"I will caution you rel, if you give in to her completely she'll capture you and keep you forever, just like she did the Titans, Neptune and Poseidon."

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, rel, just wow! I wish that I could think of something more articulate to say, but I'm a bit lost for words after reading this piece.

Amazing piece of writing, rel. :) I love how you pull the unexpected out of any prompt!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

Oops, the above comment was from me, not Stephanie. I forgot to sign her out and sign me in! But I'm sure that my darling daughter would say something very similar if she read your post! :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed this post, nice approach you took.

2:03 PM  
Blogger strauss said...

Oh I loved the description of a woman being like the sea. I loev the idea of seemingly inanimate things benig view as living breathing entities, fabulous post. Thanks for sharing your conversation with your friends.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the passion in this piece...and some really lovely visuals (both in the words and photos). Very well done!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Lamb said it beautifully Rel. Thanks for sharing his passion. XXOO

3:48 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

That was beautiful Rel...also it explains why the beach always makes me horney! :0

4:38 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Enjoyed your post. Very sensual.

I love the photos, especially the moon over the water!

5:21 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Fantastic, Rel! Fabulous description and a story well told.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

The ocean as a lover - what a concept!

It makes sense, though, because as intriguing and beguiling as love can be, it can also turn on you and dash you onto the rocks.

Great post, Rel. Hope you're enjoying your weekend :)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Everything about the ocean is sensual in nature, no? It sounds like your friend really thought about his feelings for the ocean to a great degree. Thanks for sharing it with us!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa I needed a ciggie after that post!
Hot stuff.
Thanks for for sharing.
Frances

10:27 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I love the ocean, its magnificent unharnessed power and its times of peaceful quietude. I also love the mountains and the valleys between. My perfect area to live would be high on a hill with the ocean to the east and the mountains to the west. Then I'd be able to watch the sun rise over the sea and it descend below the majestic ranges.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

...and mermaids and sirens...the sea is all things to all people.

What a beautiful piece you have written in homage to the ocean, Rel.

I love water...sea, river, creek, pond...there's something very enticing about that element.

Thank you for the lovely imagery.

2:39 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Just beautiful. Interesting and thoughtful. Your posts are always so different.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

a very interesting even admiral narrative.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You so accurately describe the seductive allure of the sea, in all its many facets. Such a complex creature!

And then there's the aspect of the sea keeping people forever --- losing oneself completely in it definitely has a high price.

Thought-provoking, as always. :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Giggles said...

What an honest summation of a woman’s depth of power in correlation to the sea! Beautifully written, your alluring words make for the perfect post! Excellent work!

Peace Giggles

10:51 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Beautiful piece.

It's always so tempting to succumb to the power of the ocean and let her take you away.

2:12 PM  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

Tantalizing metaphor, Rel. Fascinating post. Love your pictures too, especially the moonlight across the water.
But that first one: that's not the Gulf coast surf.
Thanks for your visit and very nice comments on my blog, esp. this week; but I appreciate your regular visits and comments.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'm still giggling at what Catch said! lol Your friend Lamb described the ocean in a way I've never heard before but as I read his words, I could picture it all in my mind, and I can really understand what he meant! xox

8:07 PM  
Blogger Tea said...

Lovely post. I`ve never been near an ocean, only lakes.

tea
xo

5:17 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I enjoyed your post. Thanks for commenting on my Free Spirited Art blog. :)

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home