Thursday, May 10, 2007

My friend, KG, over at; "Write now is Good" put me on to a group writing project,http://www.problogger.net/archives/2007/05/07/top-5-group-writing-project/, over at Problogger
to which I'm submitting the following post;



Top 5 Reasons to get outta bed in the morning.
From time to time for some people and all the time for others, getting out of bed in the morning is a real chore. Whether you stayed up too late watching TV, went out for a few and had a few too many, or just don't find your groove until ten AM, getting up is as appealing as stepping in merde de chien.
I enjoy my time in bed. There are a lot of fun things to do in bed; read, eat crumbly foods, watch the boob...tube, talk on the phone, and of course sleep. Come morning I want to get out and get going. Just like after a long car ride; I want to get out and stretch my legs and do something different. I don't suffer from attention deficit disorder, but I do like to do many different things. I do like routine, because at my age it helps hide the symptoms of crs (can't remember shit). On the other hand, I crave new challenges, and try to step outside the box often. But first: I've got to get outta bed!
Here are my Top 5 reasons to get outta bed in the morning:
The number 1 reason to get outta bed in the morning is to assure myself that I'm alive. You may think that if you wake up you can be sure that you are alive. Not so fast here, One day I'll wake up dead. The only thing I'm pretty sure of when waking up dead is that I won't get out of bed by my own efforts. Dead people don't walk as far as I know. Can they see, hear, think, feel the temperature, or sense touch? I can't say for sure, never having been dead before. It's one of those things you only get to do once and nobody talks about after it's happened. So I like to get out of bed to reassure myself that I'm alive and have a chance to do it all over again. I can choose to do it the same way as I've always done it or I can choose to try a different approach to life and just maybe get it right. It's the choosing that's important.
The number two reason to get outta bed in the morning is to take a whizz.
If the urge to empty one's bladder isn't what woke you up in the first place it will make itself known within a few short minutes after you've landed on your feet. There's no mistaking that sense of urgency. If you ignore it before you get up, the chances of you lying in the wet spot are very good. If you ignore it after you arise, you'll be wearing the wet spot. Why you'd ignore it is beyond me though, 'cause the sense of relief that comes with that release is second only to an orgasm. I mean come on, it's all the same organs in the same region of the anatomy. Of course it feels sublime. Who hasn't murmured...aahhhh... upon releasing the bladder sphincter with the morning 's first piss. I'm relieved just writing about it.
The number 3 reason to get outta bed in the morning is to taste that first sip of fresh brewed coffee that I made from just ground coffee beans. Remember, these are my reasons to get outta bed. Maybe you prefer tea, cola, water, toothpaste, or juice first thing. Whatever, that tantalizing flavor savored slowly and deliciously as it awakens my taste buds is wholly energizing. It's the morning kick start for the day. Energy is sent rapidly from my stomach to every fiber of my body and zings awareness to my brain and I think "it's great to be alive." The aroma of the beans as they are ground to espresso fineness wafts to my nostrils and I inhale deeply the mild acrid almost purify aroma. As the water drips through these grounds the smell intensifies and my salivary glands start secreting.
the flavor as the first sip glides over my taste buds satisfies deeply and my mind is activated and becomes acutely aware of all of my senses. Mmmmmmm good!
The number 4 reason to get outta bed in the morning is to sit at the key board and type out the day's words. To meet the prompt for the day,whether a poetry prompt or some form of prose inspiration. I take my reawakened mind, fueled by the fresh and delectable cafe in my "Krispy Kreme" cup, up to my writing/computer room and spend an hour writing, using words to get my thoughts down in print for just the sheer pleasure of creating images with words. It's an invigorating exercise that prepares me for my day and sharpens my thinking processes which thereby spills over into each future activity I'll engage in as the day passes.
Now I've found myself alive, eliminated my body's waste products, refueled my tank, and honed my ruminating skills. I am ready to approach the number five reason to get outta bed in the morning.
The number 5 reason reason to get outta bed in the morning is to immerse my self in the challenges of bringing safe anesthesia to each person having surgery in my OR today. Although it's the number five reason to get outta bed in the morning, interacting with other people is the number one reason I feel that I'm alive. If, in the process of interacting with other people, I can bring them comfort or make their life better in any way then I am fulfilled to the max. Hi, I say with a smile on my face as I look you in the eye, Good-morning, I'm rel, a nurse anesthetist, what's your name? I'll be administering the anesthesia while you're having your surgery. I'll stay with you throughout the entire procedure and insure you get all the anesthesia you need to be comfortable. I'll make sure you're safe, and when the surgery is complete, I'll take you to the recovery room where you'll wake up hungry and thirsty. Do you have any questions?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

Nice piece. I sometimes need to be reminded of all the reasons to get out of bed in the morning.

3:24 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

You are so funny. And I'd want you around if I were having surgery - I've never had an an anesthesist reassure me, unless I've told him/her how freaked out I am about it all.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, rel! All fabulous reasons to get out of bed.

I laughed throughout, then when I got to #5, I realized how much you helped people through your work. Wow. I'm sure you are a very reassuring, confidence-inspiring presence for them. :)

I finally submitted my post...

9:59 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

No, I have no questions...they are all the reason I get out bed, too...excepting No. 5, of course.

I'm a early riser, whether I've had a late night or not...just habit, I think. I don't need an alarm to wake me...I have my own in-built alarm and it's very reliable...and I'm not talking about a "whizz"! ;)

11:28 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

As good reason as any. Somedays I just do not feel like getting up at all.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel, You make me laugh. Five reason to get out of bed, one to take a whizz! ;)

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaggghhh! #1 reinforces one of my fears of dying! What if you can still feel things after you die, and then my family decides to cremate my remains? Great Top 5 list!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Oh Rel...I would so like for you to be my anesthetist should I ever need one. I think its very reassuring that you tell them you will keep them safe because a lot of people are afraid they wont wake up. And you and I could tell each other a few dirty jokes before you put me to sleep to relax me! LOL....I hope you and D and the kids have a super weekend.....how could you not in that beautiful place!!!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very solid reasons for getting outta bed in the morning.
Hope you had a wonderful weekend.
Thanks for sharing,
Frances

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha love it :)
if i ever need surgery, i REALLY hope your my anesthetist!!!!!! you sounds so nice and reassuring...even reading it i felt better and i'm not even having surgery!

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home