Sunday, June 10, 2007

Todays Prompt:

#63 - Spicy


Spicy can be used to describe: food, language, sensuality, literature, recipes, personalities, smells, or just the Bloody Mary you drink by the pool. Whatever flavour you choose to share, make sure you add a little spice to our lives (sorry, couldn't resist!)

This weekend has been and continues to be one of the premier , perfect summer weekends ever. It is cool, cool, at night for restful slumber, and mid 70's F. to low 80's F. with moderate humidity during the day. Spectacular sunrises and sunsets have bracketed both ends of the days. The river is like a sheet of glass with the only ripples being man made. So what does this have to do with spicy? Nothing really, except that I wanted to share with you why I've been away from the computer and not blogging. Continuing in that vein, I've had a devil of a time trying to get my thoughts around anything remotely worth posting in reference to today's prompt.

Having recently adopted Zaccharias as my muse from The Shameless Lions Writing circle. I was a little disappointed that he was not inspiring me with some ideas on how to spice up my post for today. By the way, For those of you who are clamoring to find out why I named my mentor lion Zaccharias....I named him after Zacharias Janssen who has been given credit by some for inventing the first compound microscope.

I gave up on him and set out to accomplish some chores...mainly finish spading my garden and getting the plants in the ground and then back to the river for some kayaking.

First light brought temperatures in the high 40's, just right for some rigorous labor. So I set about my task and as is common for me when doing mundane repetitive tasks, my mind wandered. Today It began to wander to possible avenues to take for the prompt; spice.


A warren of hares has taken up residence nearby as well as a large variety of birds. I glanced up the hill in time to see a neighbor's Siamese kitty stalking. I think he was stalking a hare but after a cat bird swooped down on him and sent out a loud warning I'm wondering if there is a bird nest near by. In either case the hare took the warning seriously and left the area as quick as a bunny (sorry). Said kitty finally noticed, after 3 or 4 minutes, that brunch had disappeared. He proceeded to search the area diligently, but to no avail. While he was sitting there pondering what had just happened, I was reminded of a cat and mouse scenario I witnessed quite a few years ago, shortly after moving into our current home.

At that time we cohabitated with 2 cats. One, a female Siamese, named Ginger, and a recently acquired barn cat, named Tinker, from a relative who operated a dairy farm. Ginger was the color of ginger root when we purchased her, hence her name. Tinker was named by my son and I'm at a loss to remember how he arrived at that name.

One evening as I rounded the corner from the kitchen to the living room I saw Ginger playing with , eeekk a mouse! Egads it was a real live mouse. The mouse was as big as a husked butternut, and was sitting as still as a stone. Cats live for the chase and have little interest in stark still prey. They engage in a ploy to give the prey hope of escape.... they turn their head away from the unmoving object of desire in the hopes that the mouse, seeing that the monster is no longer interested, will think, if I'm quick enough, I can make a hasty escape. Just as the mouse makes a move, the cat looks back and seeing movement pounces on the mouse. Mr. mouse freezes. While this back and forth game of "cat & mouse" was progressing, I notice Tinker, the barn cat, watching the scene with rapt attention from a vantage point under the oak rocking chair.


Ginger looks away for the umpteenth time.....before the mouse can even contemplate moving, Tinker streaks like a lightening bolt to the mouse, scoops it up and swallows it whole in one fell swoop and continues to the other side of the room unseen by Ginger. Ginger makes her turn to catch the moving prey only to discover that it was gone. Gone? Where could it have gone? Compulsively she begins a search of the entire living room try to locate the mouse. Tinker meanwhile licks her paw, wipes her mouth, licks her paw, wipes her mouth.

Sometimes a bland meal beats a spicy one!

Leave it to Zaccharias to come up with a cat story.

P.S. Our current Siamese's name is Cinnamon.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious, rel! ROFL! :) Thanks for this. I can just picture your cat looking for that mouse...

You covered so many aspects of spice and writing and where inspiration comes from and nature and process of life, that I'm still reeling (in a good way).

So glad your spicy muse found you.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hahahaha! Loved that cheeky cat!

As for spicy...I made some spicy guacomale the other day...it sure spiced up my mouth...but was very enjoyable.

What does insanity sauce taste like?

Enjoy your week.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Your cat has such a spicy name. I love it.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

LOve the cat and mouse story, I can imagine the look on Ginger's face when he discovered the mouse had gone:) If you dug over that whole bed in one go then I should think you have a few aching muscles today - I gardened all weekend and am definitely aware of itthis morning!

2:45 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

That cat-mouse picture is too good!

I like your lion too. You too can chk out mine..Leola she is!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

How lovely your day's have been Rel. You should be out soaking up every moment. I did enjoy the story though :) Enjoy!

12:45 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Aha - you got there in the end! Well done. Sounds like you had a lovely day.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

This was a perfect story for today! And your post was lovely....I also enjoy taking note of my surroundings and enjoying the precious things life offers....a cool breeze, a beautiful sunset, and a nice sunny day with little humidity. I could sit and watch cats play for hours! Thye are so amusing.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a surprising twist to the cat and mouse story. A post just chunk-full of goodness rel! Thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

3:57 AM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

I always love a good cat story. I have seen my cats use the look away look back ploy on each other. Now I know it is part of their bag of tricks!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home