Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I’ve been tagged by my British niece, Susannah, to reveal eight bits of me that you don’t know already… so here goes.





I'm colorblind. It's not a complete colorblindness, apparently its more green colorblind than red. It's not that I don't see color but in certain instances, I don't see the same color as someone with normal color vision.
My art teachers in highschool used to give me high marks fro my innovative paintings. For example; my skies were usually purple rather than blue. I, however, thought they were blue.
This has not been a detriment in my life, and actually it was the reason I ended up in the career I've been in for 41 years.
I was formally diagnosed as colorblind when I joined the U.S. Navy. This discovery eliminated the majority of career choices available to me regardless of my aptitude scores. I was left with three choices; bowswain's mate, Dental tech., or hospital corpsman. I chose hospital corpsman because my best friend had chosen that because he wanted to become a nurse eventually, so I went to "corps" school with him. I took to healthcare like a duck to water and my destiny was forged, and all because of my colorblindness.
When we meet please try to stiffle your smirks, sniggles, and chuckling over my mismatched clothing choices. ;-)



I almost entered the seminary to become a Catholic priest. I had recieved my acceptance letter, but two weeks before classes started my friend and I joined the U.S. Navy.
One Sunday at mass, during my senior year of high school, the priest was giving a sermon focusing on vocations. I felt like I was getting a message and I felt like I was destined for the priesthood. Immediately after mass, without telling a soul, I walked the 12 blocks to the seminary and asked for an application. I filled it out that afternoon and mailed it the following monday.
I must mention here that I was not some nerdy academic holy boy ever. In high school I majored in sports, music, and girls....not always in that order. Academics were a necessary evil. The elegibility standards in those days were stiffer than they are today. To be able to play each week You had to have a passing average in your core academic courses. I did sing at six o'clock mass every weekday morning and was in the Sunday mens's choir, which put me in frequent contact with two of the piests in the church. They became my mentors, so to speak, when it was determined that I had applied to the seminary. One of these priests eventually preformed the ceremony when I wed my wife.

I discussed with these two priests, on a number of occasions, what life as a priest entailed, and what I might expect while in the seminary. Since I had a girlfriend it naturally came up as to what type of relationships a priest might be allowed to have with a woman. After some hemming and hawing and well, you know rel, uhmmm, well, ahhh.... well. while you're in the seminary you can date just like you're doing now. Really, it's just college and you'll be majoring in religious studies. BUT, after you finish your studies you will be required to take a vow of celibacy and after that there can be no more romantic involvements.

Mulling over a life choice that banned the carnal pleasure that a man and a woman enjoy, I prayed and asked God for guidance. Soon I realised that was an unrealistic expectation...I joined the Navy!








Eventually the two priests that had befriended and mentored me left the church to get married to women.












Other than the United States I have lived in or visited the following countries: Canada, costa Rica, England, France, Japan, Okinowa, Phillipines, So. Korea, an So. Vietnam.







In the U.S. I have lived or visited the States of; Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York,N. Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, S. Carolina, Tennessee,Vermont, Virgina, Wash. D.C., amd West Virgina.


I love old churches. The older the better. Wherever I go I seek out an area's churchs to photograph, but also to go into and feel the souls of generations past touch and speak to me. There something about old buildings, churches in particular, they validate for me that there was human life long before me. They give life to my ancesters and I am affirmed that the world didn't really start with me. I chose this picture of St. Basil in Russia for the particular reason of flowing into my next bit of unknown rel trivia........






This is a photo of the Neva river in St. Petersburg, Russia.

In 1990 we hosted a Russian girl for a few weeks during the school year and brought her back to spend the next summer with us. In turn Her family hosted our middle son at their home over his Easter vacation.


Maria Baronova and her family are from St. Petersburg, Russia, home to the Russian Navy. Maria's Father is a retired Navy captain. In 1964-65 Maria's father was stationed in Vietnam assisting North VietNam in their war with the U.S.A. Also in 1964-65, relII's father (yours truly) was stationed in South Vietnam as a hospital corpsman with the US Marines fighting against the North Vietnamese. Twenty-six years later two old soldiers, sworn enemies, Shared each others children. We trusted each the other to care for our precious children. We talked on the phone, neither of us able to speak more than a few words of the other's language. We both became friends. We knew who had made us enemies and it wasn't us.



I love food. I always say I'm on a seefood diet. One of my alltime favorite dishes is Korean Bulgogi:








INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds sirloin, thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
Freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

PREPARATION:
In a large bowl, add onions to beef.
Combine sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce to form a sauce. Add in garlic and ginger. Mix well.
Marinate the beef in the sauce for about three hours (the longer the better).
Season with pepper.
Grill on a grill, pan-fry or broil for about 15 minutes, or until meat is done.
Sprinkle sesame seeds over dish, serve with rice and side dishes.
Makes 4 servings.






I'm an animal lover. I've had a pet of one kind or another since I was three years old. Currently we have two cats. Of all the wild animals, I find the tiger to be my favorite.






I have very strong political opinions. Unless we share the same ideas we probably should avoid the topic. If you should decide to share divergent views with me you must be prepared to defend your points at all cost, for my attack on your points and my rebuttle will make the above tiger seem like a docile house cat.
Let's find topics we agree on and start and part friends. ;-)

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Jellyhead said...

Well after that last bit of information about you, I'm almost too scared to leave a comment. I'll keep it strictly apolitical!

What a juicy tidbit of information to hear that you almost joined the priesthood! I bet you're glad now that you remained free to marry and have your family (not to denigrate the priesthood - just that I imagine it must be a difficult and often lonely life)

The colour blindness made me smile re your mismatching clothes. I have a friend who is also colour blind, and his wife has a terrible time deciding on colours for their house, as he is always suggesting weird purples and odd turquoises that aren't the colours he thinks they are!

Hope you're having a great week Rel :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

The things you learn about a blogger. I never would have guessed that you were thinking of joining the priesthood.

I keep quiet about my political views for the most part, because I too am passionate about them.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

I want to thank you for making the decision to join the Navy. How different your life and my life would be!! ;)

How interesting and ironic that you shared your home with the granduaghter of your father's once aworn enemy..how small the world could be :)

No politic talk here..my opinions are strong but I don't really like to debate

11:42 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

So, you were going to join the priesthood, Rel. Maybe the Catholic Church had a close call...giggle!

Okay, Rel, I won't discuss politics with you not because I'm scared of you, but because I'm not an expert on US politics!

That was a great post and very interesting. Basically, you seem like a rather nice guy, Rel, colour blindness notwithstanding...lol!

Take care

4:04 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

this is such an interesting post, a very thorough response to the meme. I love tigers too and old churches.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

hey Unc, those were great tidbits! i reckon there must be an awful lot of young men who'd considered priesthood, only to then realise their hormones wanted a say in the matter ;-) As ever, it's lovely to learn more about you x

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the list Rel and the topic I agree with you is that you are a wonderful and giving soul.

Rose

xo

9:27 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love learning about you Rel! How enlightening....You sound like a very colorful person that I would enjoy knowing. I love people who are spirited and passionate....if you and D ever get near Ohio, you must stop and visit!!! I know we would become fast friends. Thanks for sharing this!!! Very enjoyable!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

LOVE your list, it's very interesting!
The detail and stories are the best part. Fate's a funny thing, isn't it.

The picturs are a good addition.

Scarlett & V.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Am enjoying the phenomenon of getting to know you.
Thanks for stopping by.....wish you lived down the street!

3:27 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Rel, what absolutely fascinating "eight things!" I like the priest story. But when you come to Paris, maybe you should get your wife to dress you. :) We have lots to talk about!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Ummm....velly, velly interesting, you tiger, you!

Now you've made me hungry, too!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sherri B. said...

That was one of the most interesting "8 random facts about me" I've read -- thank you! And I hear you on the politics...*lips zipped*!! Have a great day~~

10:01 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

And here I thought we knew everything about you!!! lol I so enjoyed this Rel, so many interesting facts about you! I wish you could have gotten together with my step father (he passed away 5 years ago), he knew politics inside out...you two could have had a good go at it! lol To think that you thought of becoming a priest...funny how things work out! I still say they should take away the celibacy...it's no wonder so many priests end up being perverts with the young altar boys! Well, anyway, I'm just glad you turned out to be who you are today:-) xox

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jone said...

Great list. Priesthood? hmmm. I have tagged you here: http://deowriter.blogspot.com/2007/08/bloggers-meme.html

I would say the "keeping politics oout" might be a great bloggine tip.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

I bet that you would have made a great priest, Rel, too damn bad that the Catholic Church still does not see that priest should be able to marry.

I loved that list, learned a few fun facts about you!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home