Saturday, August 25, 2007


A blanket of low lying clouds
Scurrying over a river alive
With white caps and sailboats.

One, two, three sails slicing
Swiftly to the northeast
With the river's current.

It would be an uncomfortably
Hot and muggy day, were it not
For the stiff breezes gusting offshore.

A ragged unpleasant day-
Yet, with all it's accumulated
Bad aspects; roiling angry
Waves, gusting winds, overcast
Sky, there is a sense of calm
Infusing my mind. A restfulness
Unexplainable but present never-the-less

The sun breaks through from time to time,
As if to try and bring a sense
Of optimism to an otherwise dreary day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

better to be an optimistic pessimist than a pessimistic optimist.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I could really go for a good stiff breeze right now!!!! ;))

2:57 PM  
Blogger Sherri B. said...

I got such a clear sense of your mood here...I've felt that exact same way many times!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I liked that poem Rel...I've felt that way many times. I think the weather can affect the way we feel.

Enjoy your weekend.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us, Rel. :)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I like this poem, you write very visual poetry, it's easy to see the picture you are trying to create.
My trip to the US coincides almost exactly with your trip to France! I fly to Boston on Sept 17th and fly home again on Oct 1st!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Nice poem. The photo is amazing too.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Amazing photo!! And love the poem, especially the last phrase about the sun! So glad I found your site!!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

The poem's a good-un. A river that is more like a lake? I am beginning to appreciate your river more and more the more you write about it.

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home