Sunday, October 07, 2007

Extra! EXTRA!
Read all about it!!!

We interrupt the France travel blog, already in progress, to bring you news from the compost bin.
Travel programing will return shortly.









We returned from a two week vacation to France to find that Mother Nature had held off Jack Frost ,who usually shows up around 21 September, and he still hasn't arrived. That means that our vegetable garden is in it's peak and ready for harvesting and putting by. D. came down with a severe head and chest cold on the trip home and has been in sickly shape for the better part of the week. In spite of that she managed to pick enough apples for a huge kettle of apple sauce, Picked bushels of tomatoes to both give away, can, cook down into sauce, and make Mildred Walker's recipe for apple tomato chutney (goes real well with curry dishes.) My assistance was enlisted to help peel apples, carry finished products to the root cellar, (eat some apple sauce), Harvest and store the winter squash; I did cook one that had been attacked by some bug... did you know that you can cook halved acorn squash in a microwave oven? Well you can and very nicely too ....minutes as opposed to hours.

Last night, lest I forget, D. made an old favorite of ours that we haven't had since we had children at home; Tomato rice soup. SCRUMPDILLYICIOUS! Usually I like a glass of dark beer (Guinness) and slices of home made bread slathered with real butter to accompany the soup, but since I was on call I skipped the beer.

Roma tomatoes for sauce.

Wheelbarrow full with Acorn squash.

Cortland apple drops.

"Mildred Walker's" apple tomato chutney.

Stocking up:



13 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

God bless D for doing all that with a cold! A friend bought me a big bag of apples and I peeled them all ( myself) and put them on the stove to cook and went out in the yard to do something and the apples all stuck to the bottom of the pot! I must have had the burner on too high. I could have kicked myself in the fanny!!!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I made strawberry jam yesterday! Must be stockpiling season...

There is a jar of chutney in your photo that looks a bit "plundered" - very suspicious ;)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

All that food from your own garden - how wonderful!

I've never heard of apple tomato chutney, but it sounds delicious. I'll take 3 jars please. ;-)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

It seems your cup and your pantry runneth over. How great for you.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

What great photos of your garden produce - it all looks so good and the results of the labours in the kitchen look and sound delicious. D deserves a medal for doing all that while feeling so unwell - you, too, for helping:) Hope D soon feels much better.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this weather crazy this year? I still have Impatients blooming!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My!! What a harvest! What a cellar! Diane and you both should be the Harvest Queen and King of the year!
Are you going to share the tomato chutney recipe?

ps
Diane, I hope you are feeling better!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Di Overton said...

Hi
Just back from Paris and wanted to stop by and say what great company you were at the Ham Fair and thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. I looked like a drowned rat when I finally left the fair that day and had to sit with all the chic parisian ladies on the train. My paper bags burst they were so wet so I had wet bundles under my arms all the way back. Good job the papparazi weren't following me. Much love to you both
Di
PS can't wait to see your post on that wet day at the fair.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Beautiful harvest! Glad to see folks still home canning.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Yum! Yum! I too have that very same book, "Putting Food By"...how about that!

I also make sauce from my excess tomatoes and freeze it into containers for later use. At present all my tomato plants are just coming up...I can almost see them growing daily. Hopefully, I'll have good stocks of products later once they start bearing.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Missed you! Didn't realize you were blogging here and there, thought you would be a month or so.

This is one of those fall things that makes it wonderful!
Love the pics, and the cellar! Very nice.

Made me want some cider.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

12:46 PM  
Blogger Mélanie said...

MIam miam . it looks so yumie

1:04 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

Hey, who needs Paris when you can have Mildred Walker's recipe for apple tomato chutney instead?

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home