Saturday, October 13, 2007


MEETING A BLOGGER FOR THE FIRST TIME!

This evening we are going to meet the inimitable "Paris Parfait."


About a year ago when I was beginning my foray into the blog world, I came across the Paris Parfait Blog, and since I was interested in making contact with people who were living in France I posted a comment on her blog. I was also in sync with her views on current American politics. My comment was left on her blog just after she and her husband David had left for a vacation to his native England. That was that, and I never expected to get a reply. But reply she did and with an e-mail no less. That was the beginning of our blog friendship. Over the next few months we exchanged snail mail addresses so as to enable us to send each other Christmas cards. Then there was her postcard exchange. Through her blog I was introduced to other bloggers with whom shared interests blossomed into blogland friendships. (One of whom, Tongue in Cheek, you'll get to meet next week!) The thing that I am most indebted to Tara for is her unswerving encouragement of my fledgling attempts to write poetry. She never once was critical of my work, and God knows she had ample reason to offer corrective comments. But no, always her comments spurred me on to try my hand again and again. She introduced me to the now defunct Poetry Thursday, and the Haiku blog "One Deep Breath."

When she found out that D. and I were coming to France in the Fall for vacation she generously offered to put us up in her spare room for the time we would be in Paris. She was sure we'd have difficulty finding a room at a reasonable price due to the world cup of rugby being held in France at the same time as our vacation. Although we did find accomadations in a very nice hotel, we did accept her invitation (she insisted actually) to stay with she and David for the last two days of our trip when we would be returning from the south for our return flight to the States. Not only that but she wanted to take D. to a HUGE brocante (antique fair)
in Paris starting the day before we left for home. D. is an antique aficionado like Tara and was pleased, no end,to have this opportunity.

I'm saving the post on the Brocante 'til the end of the trip. Then you'll get to see photos of a gigantic antique fair in the rain and get to meet another delightful blogger from England and get a glimpse of Tara's well appointed apartment.


When we arrived in Paris on the 15th I called Tara and we firmed up plans to meet for dinner. She suggested we meet at Shakespeare & Co., an English language bookshop next door to a quaint and well reviewed restaurant, Le Petit Châtelet, where Tara would make reservations for the four of us.

D. and I arrived a few minutes early at The book shop. The warmth of the evening sun provide us with the impetus to get some nice photos of Notre Dame.

Tara and David arrived and we immediately recognized each other. She and David make a lovely couple. After making introductions we went in to the hidden away , almost, restaurant where we were seated and fussed over in the usual French manor. David is a very accomplished wine "sommelier" to whom I readily accepted his recommendations for our repast; starting with a champagne, a white and the red for dinner.

Here, I'm going to renege on my acknowledgment of Tara's statement, "these photos won't show up on the blog." I think you, my readers, will agree that Tara is more than attractive enough to show up in print anywhere. So I present to you my beautiful wife on the left and our new friend Tara on the right:

Diane and Tara

Not to be left out, here are the two duffers that these two lovely ladies allowed to accompany them to diner.


David and rel

The diner was as superb as advertised and the conversation flowed as easily as the wine. A delicious time was had and we parted with the anticipation of reuniting at Tara and David's abode one week hence.














8 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh, Rel you are very naughty for posting the photos. But I'll forgive you, just this once. :) Thanks for all the kudos. And you know it was easy to encourage you vis a vis the poetry writing, because you have natural talent, that only needed to be brought into the light and refined a bit. We had so much fun in Paris with you and Diane. Make sure you time your next visit for another big brocante, please! :) Oh and wait, you took pictures at my apartment? When did that happen?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm glad you had fun and Tara assured me you got your hug. I've been hit by an airplane bug but I had to read about your trip. I'm too weak to post my trip to New England but I'll let you know.

HUGS

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Gee, Rel - fine food, good wine, with great company (including two beautiful women) in PARIS? Does it *get* any better than that?!!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Rel,

That's so great that you got to meet friends and have such a wonderful time!
YAY!

I absolutely love your photos of Notre Dame, thank you for sharing that with us. I first went there on Palm Sunday... that was something else. Never forget how powerful it was. Even in French, thank you for bringing that back to me.

PS - I have something for you over at my page!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

5:58 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

How wonderful you were all able to meet up like that and how generous and kind of Tara and David it was to open their home to you.

People can be so great. :)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel that sounds like so much fun (and Tara is one of the people, bloggy or 'real' that I most admire)...you are both lucky to have met each other!

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pictures and commentary Rel. I hope we have as good a time as you did when in Paris.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Not quite a compensation for the absence of travel abroad in my life, but I enjoyed the trip courtesy of your words :-)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home