Saturday, November 17, 2007

I Carry

In my backpack, briefcase, and
pockets,
I carry many things;
A pen of course, but
A pencil too;
(For crossword puzzles)
Don't ya know.
A Moleskein for serious
Words,
Or not so serious;
As the case may be.
Also find a pad of Post It
notes,
and a
Modern PDA.
Sometimes an
I-Pod shows up
too.
A jackknife hangs from
My belt,
And keys---two sets,
Jangle in various pockets.
Journals, articles, a printed copy
Of my "novel-in-progress"
Are tucked in there too.
All in all there is
Paraphernalia galore,
And
I Say;
What for?
Each and every, save a few,
Are memory aids.
The photos in my wallet,
The grocery list, and
The honey do.
When boiled down, it comes to
This:
I carry memories!
Should these go, as so oft'
They do,
Then so go I----
For I, the man
You know, am but
the accumulation of my memories.

rel---11/17/2007

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You carry an awful lot but nothing can beat a woman's purse. The whole universe exist in it..

:D

9:09 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

A fun poem, Rel- your pockets must be awfully deep!

3:29 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

throw in a toothbrush and you need never go home.... very interesting post....

3:48 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I so identify with this - not so much the 'stuff' but the memories 'r us. Lovely post with depth and humor.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

I'll echo Tumblewords: it is the memories that we carry. Nicely done.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wrote about memories being carried to but in a very different way!
Very well done.
Like Gautami, I think you should look in my purse!
Have a great Thanksgiving.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

I really like the perspective this piece offers regarding the 'essence' of a person.

I might be inclined to also add our dreams as a component of our 'self-ness'.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah memories, what a fine post.

"I carry memories!
Should these go, as so oft'
They do,
Then so go I----"

I have a tendency to forget -so I write down my memories and capture them in photographs, some day when I am gone, atleast those will remain ( to be read / or thrown out as the case maybe), but I doubt if I will remember to carry them till the end...

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You carry a whole lot of love Rel!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, excellent poem.

A wonderful sense of person comes through it.

Bravo!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home