Monday, December 24, 2007



'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house


Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse ; The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, In hopes that ST. NICHOLAS soon would be there ; The children were nestled all snug in their beds, While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads ;


And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap, Had just settled down for a long winter's nap, When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.


The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below, When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer, With a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.


More rapid than eagles his coursers they came, And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name ; "Now, DASHER ! now, DANCER ! now, PRANCER and VIXEN ! On, COMET ! on CUPID ! on, DONDER and BLITZEN ! To the top of the porch ! to the top of the wall ! Now dash away ! dash away ! dash away all !"


As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky, So up to the house-top the coursers they flew, With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too. And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof The prancing and pawing of each little hoof. As I drew in my hand, and was turning around, Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound. He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot, And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot ;


A bundle of toys he had flung on his back, And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack. His eyes -- how they twinkled ! his dimples how merry ! His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry ! His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow, And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow ;


The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath ; He had a broad face and a little round belly, That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly. He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf, And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself ;


A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread ; He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, And filled all the stockings ; then turned with a jerk, And laying his finger aside of his nose, And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose ;


He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight, "HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT."


Clement Clark Moore

2 Comments:

Blogger tongue in cheek said...

Merry Christmas Rel and D!

I am going to read this tonight before when open our gifts! I remember last year you wrote about the partridge and the pear tree and the symbolizism of it, do you still have it?

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful bearer of Christmas cheer and magic you've been in your last few posts, Elf Rel. :)

The very merriest Christmas ever to you and all of the family!

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home