Thursday, January 24, 2008

Yessiree, It really is rel back to the keyboard for a blog entry! Aren't you impressed?
Last night we met Bonnie and Dick for dinner at the Granview, and Bonnie said, "Boy you really are on vacation aren't you?"
I'm like, "whadda ya mean?"
"You haven't posted on your blog this week!"

I promised her I would post something for her this morning and so here goes:

P.S. Bonnie and Dick are departing for Florida in a couple of weeks and will return in the middle of May, so that was the reason we met up for din-din. Not that we need a reason, but just so you know. ;)

The Writer's Island prompt for this past Tuesday is Fork-in-the road or Crossroad if you prefer.
I had a plan to write about how and why I chose the road toward nursing rather than the road toward doctoring, both of which were open and available to me, but I got busy with real life and took the path that led me to clean up the YEARS of clutter in my office, and computer room. Yes I have a room where I store most of my clutter, i.e. the Book room, and then the computer is set up in J's former bed room. Two rooms just means more clutter and longer time periods between clean ups. Oh, and of course there is the kitchen where I do most of my reading and mail sorting and pile making on the chair next to the window where no one sits unless we have company; Just in case French husband from Corey's place shows up next month, when and if he comes to Montreal, it seemed prudent to get the house in some semblance of neat and tidy. Wow, is that some sort of run-on sentence or what?

Now, to make a long story longer:

Prelude:
Last Friday the 18th I made a spur of the moment decision to take a vacation week this week. The fact that no other anesthetist was off for any reason was the impetus to request the time off. Any other reasons as to why I chose to take a vacation week will remain open to speculation!
Oh yes, Robert Frost, why the picture of Frost? Well, let me tell you; One of my favorite poems is Frost's The Road Less Traveled. To my way of thinking, if not everyday then at least weekly we are faced with choices and must decide which path we are going to follow. Not all are momentous decisions but choices none the less. Things like am I going to get up this morning, or am I going to go to work today or will I call in sick.
I chose to take a vacation week not to go to France, or Quebec City, Or Lake Placid, Or any of the usual reasons that I take vacation, I chose to take a vacation to sleep in, to clean out the clutter in the me spaces, and to limit my time on the computer. As much as I enjoy the internet and all my blogging friends and acquaintances I subscribe to the motto that "a change is as good as a rest", and folks I needed a rest!
So on Friday last I came to a fork-in-the-road and the last two lines of Frost's poem says it all:
"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

There is a quote ascribed to Albert Einstein that says: "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then is an empty desk?"
The implication being an empty mind.

Well, I can assure you, that my mind is anything but empty. Although I like neat and tidy, clutter doesn't bother me until it gets to a certain point; when the space becomes unusable or I can't find things I want or need then I feel motivated to organize and dispose of the excessive clutter.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I'm some what of a hoarder, a saver of magazines, newspapers and newspaper clippings, books, paintings, photos, and bric-a-brac, souvenirs of each and every trip taken in 60+ years. Now don't think I'm pathological about it. This week alone will show you that I am willing to part with the junk and detritus of my life, it just takes me a few years to get to the point of realizing that if I haven't looked at something for a year or more it can probably be relegated to the trash heap or rummage sale. So far I've tossed tons of crap and useless stuff that other wise would have to be tossed by my children after I die and what's the sense in that,
So, for M, and B, and J: Dad threw out tons of shit and today he's going to go through that miriad boxes of old photographs and get rid of the useless junk in there.


Just to let you know I'm at a crossroads in my life and there are some momentous decisions to be made on the near horizon, Stay tuned!

In the mean time I want to let Lucy Know that I appreciate her tagging me to do a random things meme and I will do that before the week is out; God willin' and the creek don't rise.

"Til then:
We are going to visit our daughter this weekend so if I miss Sunday Scribblings that's the reason. ;)

P.S. I've found a printed copy of my resume/curriculum vitae. (I lost the digital when my old computer's hard drive crashed.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Laughing. Clutter. Well, hmmm. It sure builds up, doesn't it? Before you know it... Have a nice weekend and thanks for sharing this delightful post!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Somewhat' of a hoarder? I bet most people have a collection of stuff. The key is to move every decade and give yourself an excuse to have a tag sale.

Enjoy your vacation.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

YEA!!! Cleaning out clutter is always a good thing. That is until you go to find something you know you have and realize you threw it out :)

By the way I love that poem. I had to memorize it in 7th grade and it has been my favorite ever since.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

It's a great feeling to get things SORTED isn't it?
Enjoy your at-home holiday Rel!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like you, it piles and piles and piles and then one day I decide it must be organized or ELSE. Have some great, relaxing time off Rel, can't wait to see what awaits just beyond the break.

7:38 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Nice blog, Dude.

Well written and clever...

Grok at you later.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I love your fork in the road post. If you don't make decisions, they are usually made for you, and that's no good. Enjoy your time off.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I've thought about the amount of stuff my poor kids are going to have to deal with too - scrapbooks, photograph albums, diaries ... what to do? A beautifully written post rel - thanks.
The Frost poem is a winner - every time!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Rel, welcome back (not that I've noticed you missing, because I haven't been blogging either...).

Glad to hear you used your holiday to do something positive. I try not to horde, but sometimes it's a bit hard...but I try.

However, I am very good at tossing out shit and I'm sure my daughters will thank me when I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil...

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yann loves to do dishes so he can help you Rel!

But he is also the biggest pack rat I know! I hope his nature doesn't rub off on your good intentions of ridding clutter!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home