Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Magic

There's a kind of slush all over the world.

There is magic in everything you encounter, it all depends on where in the circle you happen to be at any given moment whether or not you can see the magic in a given thing.

This morning under the misty glow of the 0400 street lights, I set out on my morning run/walk. The street, the side walk, all surfaces were in fact covered with a crystal icing. Because the temperature was 32.5 degrees F. the frosting was soft and slushy. To some this may have signaled a danger alarm, "perhaps I should wait 'til this is cleaned up or melted" or any other convenient excuse to put off, delay the morning's exercise. But no, I strode out despite the mild shin splints from yesterday's excursion and just carefully stepped along.

There was essence of polecat in the air. I didn't visualize the cute little black and white striped varmint, but his tell-tale odor left no doubt that he was circling about the neighborhood.

The resident owl was speaking to me in his incessant who, whooo, whoooo. I answered him a few times but to no avail. He continued to inquire as to who I was, but then again maybe he was wooing someone else.

So, pray tell rel, what has this drivel to do with magic?

When you've accumulated as many years as I have then I can safely asume that one has started many exercise programs, diets, or what ever New Years resolutions are your pets. Those goals you set out to accomplish and frequently do accomplish, but then relaxing our vigilance, fall back into the habits that got us off track eons ago. Sure enough though, at some point in the future, most of us step up to the plate for the umpteenth time and plunge ahead one more time. And that for me my friends is where the magic lies. The ability to over look past back sliding and begin anew with renewed vigor and self assurance of impending success.

With this renewed assault to suppress bad habits I embraced the slush, the eau de Pepe, the bone chilling damp, the owl's conversation, the sinus drainage; it was all part of the magic, the magic inherent in trying again.

I'm up lifted and feel a resurgence of life's energy. Oh, I know it may only last for a few moments or hours. Maybe It'll sustain me for some days. It''ll wane...it always does, but right now, right here, I immersed in the magic and it feels sublime.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just it. We shouldn't get bogged down by past failures or the certainty that we will fail again. Positive and uplifting.

9:30 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Going forward optimistically. That's the key.
You raise the problem very well.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent sentiment! There's such a rush that comes with doing something you just don't want to do and finishing it. Keep on walking Rel!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

precious moments, magical moments for the short duration it lasts, captured wonderfully here, thank you.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I love this post - the words, the humor and the reflective voice all make this a magical piece!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love the way you said this Rel and I know just what you mean.....another exercise program....oh well, what can it hurt??? And maybe this one will work, but regardless, we benefit from any exercise so lets just try to keep on keeping on.....lol.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

hey Rel... what is it with you and skunks? They just seem to gravitate towards you! haha
This post and your perseverance are truly magical!
Hope this sublime inspiration stays around all year long! :))

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home