Sunday, March 23, 2008

# 103

I just don’t get it.

This is a little story about the meaning of life. It’s fairly long for a Sunday scribble, but not as long as it could be. If you already know the meaning of life, stop reading here, and e-mail me privately so that we can compare notes. On the other hand, if you don’t know or are unsure, and you don’t want to read all the hyperbole, scroll down to the end and read the last 6 lines and be enlightened.

As I stand in the garden alone, I ponder the persistent question; why am I here?

This is not the first time I’ve been here, nor the first time this thought has materialized in my mind. Déjà vu? Maybe, but this was no illusion. I didn’t have the feeling that I’ve been here before. It’s more a matter of: here I am again, same place same question and I just don’t get it.

Blinding bright sun light reflecting off the crystalline and ebbing snow in which I stand mid-calf deep has sparked this reflective thought. No secret in that; I’d read the prompt for Sunday Scribblings yesterday and that seed had marinated in my right brain over night while I slept and presents itself in bud now.

Notes♫ from the William Tell 1812 Overture disturb my reverie; what the fuk? (If you misspell a vulgar profanity on purpose, is it still a swear word?) Oops, cell phone!

“rel?”

“Aye, it is he, rel the healer of multitudes, how may I serve you?”

“Cut the crap rel, it’s me, Lem.”

“Lem? Oh yes, my old friend Limerace Orgilis LeBeau. The last time I heard from you was seven months ago. To what do I owe this, sure to be, august phone call?”

“rel, sorry old friend, you could’ve called me.”

“You’re always unavailable to take my calls!”

“You know how absent minded I get. I’m just a self absorbed miserable excuse for a friend. However, it’s always your name that pops into my head when I need some sage advice.”

“Yadda, yadda, yadda Lem. What’s on your mind this time?”

“The meaning of life rel, the meaning of life. I just don’t get it.”

“Hmmm, funny you should say that Lem, I was just thinking the same thing myself.”

I knew right then and there that a new adventure was in the making. Lem and I are not so much chums as we are kindred spirits, and when we get the same inspirations, one or the other of us contacts the other, usually he, me. More often than not it leads to some sort of adventure.

Lem had his mind set on a pilgrimage to a far off place where we might find the answer to our query. He reminded me about the “guru” we’d met that time we did the fourteen day Everest base camp hike a couple of Novembers ago. I recall that we had nick-named him Mike, (just another example of the ugly American sense of world superiority manifesting itself), using the initials of his given name: Maharajah Isaiah Krishna Ezekiel.

Long story short, Lem had already purchased our plane tickets (presumptuous SOB), sent his private Lear to fetch me and take me to JFK in NYC, and voila, early Easter morning we are at the mountain home of our acquaintance “Mike”.

After the customary greetings and amenities, Mike led us to his sitting room where we, duh, sat; Lem and I side by side across from and facing Mike.

Mike spoke first; “How may I serve you, friends?”

“We are searching for the meaning of life” said Lem.

“All life or just human life?” asks Mike.

“Well, all life, I guess, but, no, human life… my life mostly.”

Taking a deep breath, Mike raises his arms over is head, brings his palms together, and exhaling he lowers them to a point directly in front of his sternum. Then he says:

“The meaning of life is death.”

Lem gives me a puzzled look, I shrug. Turning back to face Mike, Lem says:

“We fly 17 hours, climb 10,000 feet up this F’n mountain to be told that the meaning of life is death?”

“You think there should be more?” asks Mike

“Yes!”

Mike continues:

“Love all things equally, without exception.

Expect nothing in return.

If you do this, you will have the meaning of life.

If you just don’t get it,

The meaning of life is death.”



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger GreenishLady said...

What a great read! (Not too long, either.)

7:35 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

but doesnt it just leave you wanting to say... "you're kidding me ... right???"

what a freaking farce,, all of this is....

8:00 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

LOVE.. I always knew it was the meaning of life, Rel. great story! happy easter. ♥

9:03 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

The key words are ALL and EQUALLY. I really enjoyed this and I had to snicker at you mentioning a cell phone. :) I wrote my SS on them. lol

Happy Easter Rel!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

respect!

(I was wondering why the humanist has his hands raised, d'oh! - then I sussed it out).

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine what you would have learned if you had spent 17 hours traveling 10,000 feet deep within your own heart...your own Spirit.

You don't need a "guru" (or any expert) to tell you YOUR truth of life. But you do need to befriend your own spirit to learn your answers of life.

Thank you for the wonderful post.

As my simple way of giving back, I'd like to offer you (and all who read this) a gift copy (pdf) of my book: No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!

No strings attached...really! Nose around my website and if interested, just e-mail me a request. You'll receive it within 24 hours.

Yes, it is just that simple...Yes, you can trust that there are no strings. (Your Spirit will tell you that!)

take care,
Louise Lewis, Author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
www.noexpertsneeded.com

4:05 PM  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

A great read! Why would you think it too long when we were amused every step of the way?

I tend to think that the meaning of life is not to worry about the meaning of life. There's so much to savor in every moment of it that it seems a shame to waste those moments in worried speculation.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Nice going! It is so simple, isn't it? Is it? Well, then. I'll ponder a little more before I accept it all. Nice post and not at all long. I like 'Mike'.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Ah Rel, you are never ever dull, and often intriguing. This post is no exception!

I don't like to think that the meaning of life is as simple as death - although of course death is at the end of every life. I believe the meaning of life is in the simplest things - in every moment of wonder and warmth that we are fortunate enough to experience. Of course, I may be completely wrong here!

Hope you're having a wonderful Easter Rel!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Hmmm. That's deep. Kind of a nice Easter post.

4:25 PM  
Blogger UL said...

I get it...actually, I liked Mike.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im still smilin over his name.. Maharajah Isaiah Krishna Ezekiel.. great story... enjoyed it thoroughly... and some of that yadayadayada thrown in with no lobster bisque.. that we all should have a friend with a private lear jet and time.. only to find it's the beatles... all we need is love... and ask nothing in return... oh, yes, that it would be so simple... oh, and that picture, reminded me of.. well, that was long ago.. thanks for that...

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home