Saturday, March 15, 2008

SPELLBOUND....#26

He captivated the State if not the country. Eliot Spitzer held the electorate of NYS..... SPELLBOUND. Too many saw him as a savior, a political savior to be sure, but a savior never the less. He was the knight in shinning armor who would lift NY from the stagnant depths of depravity and into the status once held by the EMPIRE State. As a man of multi-millions he would be immune to bribery from the prostitute lobbyists populating the capital. He had charisma and chutzpah. His take no prisoners, holier than thou approach to reform of both wall Street and Brothel lane Showed him to be the high stepper we needed.

Although I voted for his opponent, John Fasso, I secretly wanted, no, I knew in my heart of hearts that Eliot Spitzer was going to be elected. No one, well 70% of the voters, listened when Fasso pegged Spitzer as a low life sleaze. They shucked it off as political rhetoric of a namby-pamby hotshot wanna be. “Eliot Spitzer, he’s our man, if he can’t do it no one can!” Ta-rah-rah-rah-boom-de-aye!

As the drama of March 10th, 2008 unfolded and the pundits, the amateur psychologists weighed in with their analyses, I was compelled to do some research into the sexual peccadilloes of American Politicians. Lordy, God A’ mighty, the list of mayors, governors, legislators, and presidents who have had their careers marred or destroyed by their sexual indiscretions was/is phenomenal. From Thomas Jefferson, to Eliot Spitzer, the list would fill an average size roll of toilet paper.

Reading along, my memory stroked and stimulated into recalling many of these events, I asked myself if I could detect any commonality in these people. This is what I came up with: First, they were all men. Not one woman was listed in the whole sordid bunch (on the perpetrator’s side). Next, because they were all elected, most of them to more than one term, they more than likely possessed some sort of hypnotic attraction, the ability to mesmerize their public, to hold the populace SPELLBOUND.

Ponder these names for but a moment, and if my essay has not held you captive then certainly do a Google search and discover for yourself the sexual scandals in their lives and careers: Thomas Jefferson, Dwight Eisenhower, FDR, Gary Hart, Marion Barry, JFK, MLK, and of course, Bill Clinton.

These pedestalized men all had/have the appeal necessary to bamboozle and captivate the public. These qualities aren’t something that are kept in some election time file for “character traits to exhibit to get elected.” No, these are the same qualities that allowed them to attract and keep beautiful, intelligent women by their sides and call them wife.

It is these same attributes that promote hero worship and demagoguery. They are seen as modern day Sir Lancelot. Yes, it’s these characteristics which allow him to dally and dance in forbidden women’s underpants.

Usually some good comes from catastrophe. I believe that Gov. David Patterson can do what Eliot Spitzer could not; bring the NYS legislature together.

On another, but related note, this debacle has given me a focus on our nation’s presidential race. Let it be known before hand that I intend to vote for Sen. John McCain ® Ariz.. We are brothers of the Vietnam War. He took my share of torture and suffering and the share of many others in that V.C. prison camp. He refused to feed their propaganda machine by rejecting early release or any leniency. I feel that I owe him.

Barack Obama has given the youth of this great nation a reason to get involved in our country’s politics. That’s a wonderful thing. He has given the black populace (he is black isn’t he? Geraldine Ferraro said as much) a hope not enjoyed since MLK. He is a handsome, soft spoken, bright, very intelligent man with a beautiful, intelligent woman at his side called his wife.

He has charisma!

He has the populace SPELLBOUND!!!!!!

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rel,

I find it interesting as well, but not from a standpoint of being spellbound. It's not just in America where powerful men have had sex in office and certainly not a modern phenomenon. My question is, should it matter? Does sex rise to the level of alcohol and drugs or do we perceive it as being worse? I'm not spellbound by any politicians, nor do I have a vote in any case. Has McCain never strayed and if he did, would it change your mind?

Rose

xo

7:55 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Rose,
It's a matter of subtrefuge. I don't want an alcholic as my commander and being elcted on a platform of prohibition, I don't want a crack addict as Gov. who criminalizes drug users. and I don't want Elmer Gantry as President. Say what you truly believe and let the chips fall where they may. (never happen in politics)
As a Navy flyboy and a influencial US Senator I'd have to bet that McCain has had a dalliance or two. Yes I will still vote for him.
rel

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Dad!!!!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful [post! It gave me a great glimpse into American politics. And Obama seems to be a fit candidate.

BTW, cinnamon tea is easy to make. Add one inch stick of cinnamon for one cup of tea. Boil for five minutes. This helps in imbueing the essence. Pour it over a tea bag the usual way. You can add sweetner or milk/cream(preheated) if you want. It tastes good! At least it does to me!

:D

11:45 AM  
Blogger Rambler said...

american politics has always baffled me..

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm too old to be held spellbound by any politician. i believe every revolution is betrayed, and every politician disappoints. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Or as that old devil Richard Nixon has it, "The faces may change, but the game remain the same," or words to that effect. I also know a little bit about addictions, and I feel sorry for Spitzer - I think he's a sex addict who got busted, same as the Big Dog. I hope for his sake it's his bottom, and he starts dealing with it. American politics? - Hypocritical Calvinism.

12:35 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

i will never understand our interest in the sexuality of these men.. if he worked in a factory,, would it matter?? if he built houses who would care?? if he were an electrician a scientist a mail carrier a plummer.. who know and who cares,, if he is good at what he does,, and doesn't lie about having done it... i don't think it is any of our business where he puts his d*ck....

1:02 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Interesting post. I've never been spellbound by a politician nor have I cared about their sexual dalliances unless they took money and time from the taxpayers. But, as a not-wife, I never stand by a man who unzips away from home. And, quite frankly, McCain scares me. Like Bush scares me. Nice post!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! No matter the country, men in power frequently allow ego and zipper to get in the way of everything else!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Good post, Rel. What bugs me the most about some of those men is their hypocrisy - don't pretend to be the great morality reformer and then have illegitimate sex in some high-class back alley.

Just like Tumblewords, I would say that McCain scares the hell out of me. I just hope that the Democrats nominate the one candidate most able to defeat him.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Your post is very detailed and very well written.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Great post! As has been said, it's the hypocrisy that gets me--I thought Mike Huckabee slamming Mitt Romney was just that. I fear every candidate who, on the campaign trail, digs around in all kinds of slime to throw at their opponent (accurate or not). It does bother me that Obama has been a follower of Rev Wright for some 20 years, was maried by him, had his children baptised by him, and, apparently during that time he MUST have heard his views on race, Farracon, America, etc. I'll admit I was sort of spellbound by Obama's chrisma--until now. Now I don't know what to think. We'll see what Hillary's tax returns show....

In hindsight, Romney looks better and better.

9:44 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

what did spitzer in so quickly (and it was quick) was his hypocricy. he came on board touting a holier-than-thou attitude and digging dirt on others and bringing them to light. he took pleasure in that. so, when all of a sudden he is the one doing the dirty deed, guess what....they all came in for the kill! they were never going to let this slide. he was hated by all, including his own party...he had very few friends. yet, he is an incredibly intelligent man with very little common sense.

i posted a little ditto on him for 3WW Oh, Governor!

11:14 PM  
Blogger UL said...

when it comes to politics...I listen more ....you had all my attention here.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home