Wednesday, April 23, 2008

by Leontine May
artwork Watercolor
from Flickr
Watercolor was originally uploaded to Flickr by anongrrl.

On Monday the 21st, Michelle Johnson, from Poefusion, offered the above watercolor to stimulate our creative juices. In addition for an extra challenge try writing a sestina with these words: crow, umbrella, shade, dress, post and scarecrow.
I've never written a sestina and I'm not sure the following qualifies but I think I got the form right. Whether or not it qualifies as poetry; well I let the reader be the judge.

I was also able to use today 3WW words in the sestina and you can find them as the 3 italicized words.

Something here is amiss said Crow,
Lighting upon the umbrella
Whose task, perhaps, 'twas meant to shade
This gardener found in gauzy dress,
Whose likeness seems to me a post;
A lame excuse for a scarecrow.

What bird might cringe from this scarecrow?
Not one as keen as this here crow!
Frilly adornment on a post
Accentuated by an umbrella;
Not the way for a gardener to dress,
Without a hat on her head for shade.

This is but a stop to shade,
Not to frighten birds, this scarecrow.
The wooden cross, here so dressed,
Offers a weary, curious crow
Respite under her umbrella,
As he wings from post to post.

Casting his examining gaze upon this post
His image not reflected in the shade,
He hops to the edge of the umbrella
To ponder what use to make of this scarecrow:
What chance the arrival of a she-crow,
Pirouetting for him in her black dress?

Cleaning, preening to get dressed-up,
He struts his stuff; a picture postcard
To make a favorable impression on she-crow.
Against the white dress, his blue-black shade
Shines and glistens, and he caws; I'm a scarecrow
look at me, the handsomest fella on this umbrella.

This shiny black beacon sits atop the umbrella,
While breezes ripple and wave the filmy white dress;
An invitation to investigate the scarecrow,
Beckoning the avian ladies to this post.
He offers his retreat with private shade;
Come and join me now he crows!

Under sestina's umbrella, this post
Dressed-up in shades of gray
Gives the scarecrow something to crow about.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger poefusion said...

Rel, this is wonderful. I love it. Now, if only he can get a lady crow to join him under that umbrella. What fun he'll have. Have a nice day.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant Rel. An ode to old crow, I love it.

((((hugs))))

Rose

xo

1:06 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I don't know enough about poetry to know if it's a sestina or not, but it's a lovely poem never the less.

1:13 PM  
Blogger TC said...

I agree with churlita: no clue about sestinas, but this told a very nice story.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

That is so GOOD!!!

I loved it.

Thank you!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore


PS~Missed you!

5:06 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

An excellent story told here.
Marvellous.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That was a tough assignment Rel yet you rocked it! I enjoyed the cromance, watercolor and sestina. I tried a pantoum today but it didn't come out the way I wanted. Form, yes but poetry not so much. ;)

HUGS

6:01 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

This is the first real live sestina I've met! Nice read. I particularly liked the final three lines. Nice!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poetry illiterate myself, but I like this poem and that little watercolor. Whimsy is highly under rated.

8:19 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

Wonderful! People do what they want and an exercise is an exercise, after all, but I wonder what a revision without the required words would read like. Just wond'ring out loud. That's all.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Rel I think you captured it perfectly nice job. Way to go.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no knowledge of sestinas but I love odes to crows

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!... you've made it appear so easy and it flows as a river running free... congrats on the combos!!! ..

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home