Friday, April 11, 2008


It's been one f those weeks! You know, one where nothing really went horribly wrong but deviated from the norm enough to make you say, hot-dog I'm glad to see Friday get here. With the pile up of years, I really do try to stay supple, at least in my mind. Sometimes it's an effort though; cynicism is always lurking right around the corner ready to make you a brittle curmudgeon.

I'll try to keep this story short, you know, a snap shot of life, a Polaroid of sorts.

Being on call pulls you down physically if not mentally and this week I was unfortunate enough to pull two days: Monday and Thursday. If you don't get called it's not so bad, but when you work half the night and then turn around and have to put in a regular day following it there is a tendency to come to Friday with some trepidation. It's like, what else can happen to make this week a total flop?

Now in the grand scheme of things I really have nothing to complain about except some lost sleep. I didn't run over or hit the skunk that darted out in front of my car last night. Some one did put too much salt on the pop corn yesterday, but not enough to stop me from gorging myself on it for supper.

And on proper reflection, both of the ladies in OB that I gave interthecal Fentanyl to ,delivered without having to come to the OR for c-sections. The four year old boy who got kicked in the face by a horse got shipped to a higher level facility and didn't come to our OR. The kidney stone patient was suffering way more than me, and the fourteen year old girl who had her appendix out last night, the first day of her spring break vacation, wasn't too happy.

Sitting here in front of my no-name computer, meditating on the week behind me, I'm starting to think: I had a pretty good week, yeah, Heck I'm going fearless into Friday. That's the ticket, bring it on, I can handle it. I'll make my self like buttered aluminum foil for making peanut brittle: troubles, if they come will just slide off me slick as snot!

Well now, I'm glad we had this little talk. I'm feeling much better. Thanks for listening!

Every day is yours to make
Whatever it will be.
A Polaroid for you to follow
To meet the day a breeze.

I'll not become a brittle branch
No, a supple sapling will I be.
Reflecting woes like aluminum-
I'll foil misery.

With fearless fortitude I'll face
Any skunk that comes my way.
Throwing salt upon the icy place
So upright I will stay.

God willing and the creek don't rise
Raise a glass of red with me tonight.
At six PM, eastern zone, a prize-
Thankful for all that's right.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger J. S. Clawson said...

Thanks for the great and uplifting story and poem! Friday is always great in my book too! Have a great day! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Well, hope you get to enjoy a peaceful weekend after that rather hectic week!

8:22 AM  
Blogger poefusion said...

Isn't it funny how we can look at someone else's life and see that ours isn't going so bad afterall? I can't imagine how you make it through a day seeing what you do. I don't think seeing a boy kicked in the face by a horse would be so pleasant. I hope he's doing well. And, I can empathize with the girl whose appendix was taken out because I had mine removed at 15 or 16 yrs old. Somehow at the end of the day you managed to still have an uplifting attitude. I hope your weekend is a good one. Have a nice day.

9:09 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

what a great attitude you seem to have toward life... i have to admire that in you.. both pieces equally well written and well thought out...

i have to admit that it bothers me that the nurses, and doctors too i am sure,, in our medical facilities are running on no sleep,, why on earth would it be in the one industry that we really need a clear mind and a level head,, that we over work the staff wityh such a system of on call????

9:53 AM  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I love how you talked yourself in to a better perspective! Great poem following awesome reflections. :) peace, JP/deb

10:08 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Definitely the right attitude. And explained so well.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hey Rel! I love how your poem reflected your week. It's comforting to know that someone who is performing surgery on people has such an upbeat, positive attitude! You can cut me open anytime!
( are you a general surgeon??) I know I used to know this, but I should be in the neurological unit of your hospital.
Glad Friday is here for you, enjoy your weekend!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Cheers Rel. Just think 6 will be here soon. I so understand the on call, I unfortunately get enough being the nursing supervisor but like you say its just a little sleep deprivation thank god nothing major. Have a great weekend.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

What a cheerful account of what must have seemed hectic and overwhelming at the time! I love your attitude and enjoyed this post immensely - plus your wake-up-and-smile graphics.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

You always have the best attitude about everything. It's great to read.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

That sounds like a pretty tough job to have. Cool head required, I'll bet.

3:31 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Great post! Very clever!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write the most beautiful posts. I like it all. The prose and poetry!

shapely ghosts

6:04 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

What a week! I loved "troubles, if they come will just slide off me slick as snot"!

Your poem was uplifting!

Cheers!
XXOO

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

What a wonderful piece, so delightful to read. I love what you did with the prompt words, especially aluminum foil, that was very creative. Have a great day!

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how perfect, hope this week is coming better for you...it's almost friday..

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home