Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I've never seen his face

The bullet from his rifle
To my flesh it did race.
A yell I could not stifle;
I never saw his face.

Perhaps it was a stray round,
No target to be aced,
An accident; my Achilles found.
I never saw his face.

Was it me, his unseen foe
He wanted to erase?
Or was he just another joe?
I've never seen his face.

Did he die sometime, somewhere?
Or was he granted grace:
To gaze within the mirror there
And say; I've seen his face.

rel 16 Apr., 2008



Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rel, this will stick with me all day. Wow.

8:13 AM  
Blogger poefusion said...

Wow, great poem! And, very appropriate for the war times we are living in right now. It makes one wonder how they can survive life after shooting someone. You know that has to bother them. How do you block something like that out of your mind and still function normally? Nice job Rel. Have a nice day.

8:44 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

oh rel... that was perfection.. the absolute perfect take on that prompt...

8:59 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

An eerily powerful poem.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Rel,

Excellent post. Very emotional.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful and hypnotic. An excellent take on the prompt.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Very nice. Haunting is a great word for this.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh boy, did I miss some of your wonderful pieces or what...i am happy to catch up. very deep, esp. that last line caught me unaware.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home