Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Lion must have eaten all the lambs! March left the same way it came in; cold, blustery, with snow, sleet, and freezing rain. We here in the north of New York by 8 hours, are forecast to get a reprieve today: temperatures rising into the sixties! It's only temporary, as we return to cold crappy weather on Wednesday. I'm left, therefore, with the belief that today is Nature's way of acknowledging April fools day.


Not so much in later years, but when I was younger, especially when my kids were home, I was an inveterate practical joker, most especially on the 1st of April. Why it wouldn't be beyond me to send one of my kids to the grocery store or the local hardware store to get me a case or a 1/2 case of torrid.


I'd be remiss, however, if I didn't tell the story of how my youngest, Jay, April-fooled me big time and never since has a better one been played, in this house at least.

You might say he took a Gamble.


As you may or may not know, my job requires me to take call in the local hospital. One March 31st, a few years past, I was indeed on call. Call is a twenty-four hour or more event so that on the morning of April 1st I was still on call. Mind you it was early enough that I had not recognized what DAY it was. Jay comes into the bathroom while I'm in the middle of my shower and says:
"Dad?"

"Yeah," what's up?"

"The hospital is on the phone for you!"

"Oh shit! Ok, thanks."

I jump out of the shower, and while trying to towel off, trot, dripping to the phone in the living room. When I get to the phone, which is, obviously, still in the cradle, I hear this voice from the kitchen yell:
"April Fools."
Planetary Alignment Decreases Gravity British astronomer Patrick Moore announced on BBC Radio 2 that at 9:47 AM a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event is going to occur that listeners can experience in their very own homes. The planet Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, temporarily causing a gravitational alignment that will counteract and lessen the Earth's own gravity. Moore says that if listeners jump in the air at the exact moment that this planetary alignment occurred, they would experience a strange floating sensation. When 9:47 AM arrived, BBC2 began to receive hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. One woman even reported that she and her eleven friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room.













Oh, did I forget to mention that this took place in 1976 and When 9:47 AM arrived, BBC2 began to receive hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. One woman even reported that she and her eleven friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room.


You may have heard that you can stand a hen's egg on end on the first day of spring ie: the spring equinox; Well it's true and I did in fact demonstrate this for my children and their friends.

I also demonstrated it on the next day and the next and so on........
Ok folks; let's get out there and have fun to day!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

happy april... from one old fool to another.....one just never does know what to expect out of you does one????

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rel, how do you do it?!

word by word

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific post for a fun day! I also posted a piece on famous April Fool pranks - fortunately different ones from you! Have a great day

2:39 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

Happy April. march went out like a lamb here. It was almost 60 degrees,b ut today we have wind chills in the 20's. Man, I love Iowa...Or do I?

4:05 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

There's no fool like an April fool! Excellent write! Still smiling!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home