Saturday, April 05, 2008

Not posting yesterday disqualifies me from the poem a day for April club....Whew, I'm glad that pressure is off!!!
Today, I've taken the liberty of combing two prompts from Poefusion: the Friday five (avacado, hemisphere, gasoline, ceiling, and brick) with poefusion #7 "write your own 13-part poem using one repeating image or symbol".

Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!
Matt Frewer, as Dr. Mike Stratford in "Doctor, Doctor"

Thirteen thoughts with my dead father.
by rel
I.
Glancing out the window
To check the clothes line,
I saw you sitting on the
Winter bench.
Thirty years dead: Dad!

II.
Initial shock subsiding,
Donning my coat, I joined you there.
You wearing those avocado colored pants
And the leather elbowed sweater
I gave you one Christmas, dad.

III.
You stared without seeing.
You talked without moving your lips.
I heard every word dad.

IV.
"After all this time dad,
Why now?"

V.
"There is no time', you said;
"There is only now-
Tell me your memories of
Me as your dad".

VI.
"Remember the old Chevy dad?
130,000 miles, floor boards rusted away?
Going to fetch Julie.
Smelling gasoline all the way."

VII.
We passed a farm-
White barn, red brick house.
At 16, your step-mother farmed you out:
Your dad died when you were thirteen.

VIII.
----finishing off the attic;
Bedroom for Jeff and me.
I puzzled you with a question
about masturbation.
Dad, you slipped, stepped through
the ceiling.

IX.
"Remember the rides in the Packard dad?
You lectured, My mind wandered away.
A legacy I'd just as soon have forgotten."

X.
"Dad, I've always believed that
You memorized the W.U.D..
Your favorite altime phrase;
Look it up in the dictionary!"

XI.
You turn to look me in the eye.
Dead serious, you say,
"I'm leaving this hemisphere soon.
I won't be here when you come".
"Dad!!!!!"

XII.
"I'm retuning to this world again.
You may see me, touch me,
But you won't recognize me
As dad."

XIII.
Remember,
Your dad loves you dad!

12 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

oh rel... that was the perfect post... i am strangely shocked and yet,, i feel as if all is right with the world....

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. How wonderful it would be to have this last conversation and to know you get to start again.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

I do not believe that I have ever written this here, Rel, but I really love your poetry - it is never trite and always amazingly clever, and often touching in a way that is not maudlin. I really admire those qualities, because I believe that I could never produce anything like that.

10:12 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Thanks Elisabeth, that means more to me than you might imagine.
I'm always in awe of the orderly way your mind works, and love reading your treatises on life...bold, straight to the heart of any matter, and with daring too. ;)
rel

10:21 AM  
Blogger poefusion said...

Rel, this is a beautiful and poignant poem, tribute to and conversation with your dad. You've made death come around into life with your words. I am sorry for your loss even though it was a longer time ago. Its always hard to except the death of a loved one. You've braved it beautifully.

10:45 AM  
Blogger rod said...

this poem touches me deeply. One morning a few months ago, just before I woke, I had the pleasure of helping my grandfather unload his pickup of monstrously large turnips. He's been gone 37 years, and what a glorious chore to wake from.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

The tear from the eye at the end of this poem is the perfect picture to accompany it. I can feel all your longing to have your father in your life still.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great response to the two prompts!!.. and the doctordoctor bit was a terrific opener... amazing to speak so eloquently of a intimate conversation w/a lost one... 3o years..travelin thru yr lives... it was truly a beauty.. i can understand the 30 poems.. it has been an interesting ride so far... this is my first year participating and hoping i can make the 30 days

6:03 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Your work is so amazing! This particular piece is poignant, tender, yearning and overall just darned great! Great!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Wow Remi what a beautiful post. You are a terrific writer from just your regular posts as well as your poetry. I am so glad I have visited this blog and will continue to do so.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very vivid, I see the two of you on the bench, savoring over old memories

10:38 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I can relate to this so well - my dad will have been dead forty years this Oct. A lovely poem indeed.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home