Sunday, May 11, 2008

#110 Telephone
"Hello?, hello! Oh, hi. Mom? Is that you Ma?

"Who am I looking for? Uh,I'm trying to get in touch with my mother."

"Her name? Oh yeah. Her name is Millie L.."

"Is this heaven?"

"Whadda ya mean; something like that?

" Yeah ok, so this is the place where people go after they die?"

"Good. Now is my mother there?

"I'm sure she IS busy, could you tell her that her son is on the phone?

"Thanks."

**********************

"Hi ma"

"Whadda ya mean, who is this? It's me rel. You know, your son."

"I know, I know, I haven't called for an eternity, but I just found out that we could call there from here. And we can only do it between noon and 4 pm on Mother's day."

Yah, yah, I know; It's no excuse."

"What do I want?"

"Jesus Christ ma!"

"No, no, I want to talk to you, not Jesus. No, don't go get him. Mom....Stop."

"Yes I remember; be precise and say what I mean."

"I don't have any idea how much this is costing!"

" I called to say I love you and wish you a happy Mother's Day. Here's a little poem I found on the internet that says How I feel about you."

"Never mind what the internet is, just listen ok?






Before I was myself you made me, me
With love and patience, discipline and tears,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,

Allowing me to sail upon my sea,
Though well within the headlands of your fears.
Before I was myself you made me, me

With dreams enough of what I was to be
And hopes that would be sculpted by the years,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,

Relinquishing your powers gradually
To let me shape myself among my peers.
Before I was myself you made me, me,

And being good and wise, you gracefully
As dancers when the last sweet cadence nears
Bit by bit stepped back to set me free.

For love inspires learning naturally:
The mind assents to what the heart reveres.
And so it was through love you made me, me
By slowly stepping back to set me free.

"Bye ma."

"Thanks. Yeah, I love you too."

"Yes, I'm behaving myself! Go back to weeding the garden."

" Next year? Yeah, I'll remember."

"bye"

Call Your Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

as always a very clever take on the prompt... maybe i will even break down and call.....

7:46 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

What a lovely piece of writing - clever and touching. Thanks for this.

10:20 AM  
Blogger ell said...

I really liked this. Both parts are meaningful.

Did you really find the poem on the internet or did you write it yourself? It expresses the sentiment I hope to have achieved with my sons.

10:54 AM  
Blogger JP/deb said...

This was sweet and funny!
Have a great rest of your weekend!
JP/deb
(now blogging at www.janepoet.blogspot.com)

11:07 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

That was nice. Touching. Well thought out.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

Very clever take on the prompt! Did you know that sometime around the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth there was a song (sung to me by my mother) that went like this:
Hello, Central, give me heaven
for my mother's there.
You will find her with the angels
on the golden stair...

5:56 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

:)))
REL! I can't even describe the big smile I'm wearing! THIS was Adorable, sweet, touching and So very creative! I KNOW your Mom is reading it from up above and beaming with pride and love.
xoxox

6:23 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I would love to be able to call my mom in the afterlife between noon and 4 on Mother's Day. I can't really remember her voice anymore.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Aw, Rel, Mothers Day must be bittersweet for you. This is a beautiful, funny post in honour of your ma.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet your mom is hanging out with mine Rel. If there is a garden in heaven, my mother will be happily tending the rose bushes and tormenting those who love wildflowers.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

Okay already Rel! I did call her. I call her everyday though. What a great post and I love the poem beautiful. I hope all you moms visiting this blog had a wonderful mothers day as well.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home