Friday, June 06, 2008






Friday morning, fully ensconced in the cottage on the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, whose surface at this first light of day is picture perfect: A glassy mirror shrouded in a fog, obscuring the view of Canada's shore, two geese lovers floating placidly together like drift wood bobbing in front of the dock, and to complete the scene....the intermittant blare of a ship's fog horn as it plows down-river toward the gulf of St. lawrence, past Quebec city and on to the atlantic. The sound of the foghorn and the churning deisel engine proclaim it's presence in front of the camp, but remains invisible in the mist.




A pair of ducks, a blue herron, two loons join the water crowd, while with yours truly here on the shore, the starlings, robins and woodpecker join the morning coffee/worm clatch. Piles of drift wood await the summer camp fires, while rain glistened picnic tables, tell of overnight storms.




The cedars stand vigiant, framing the scene, and the light poles on Dick and Bonnie's dock are reflected perfectly in the water by the shore. Newly potted plants placed decoratively here and there by the newly retired D. add a renewed sense of occupancy here in the pastoral summer retreat..




The ship's horn is now so loud I feel that I can touch the sound as it emerges from the fog to reach my ears on the water's edge, yet she remains hidden. The mist moves in toward shore as if rolled to the side by the advancing boat, pushing not only swells of river to the side but dividing the fog and sending it to roll up on the beach also.




******************




Speaking of plants; the story of the florist's tomato plant continues. I was on call Monday last but did take a brief moment to come to camp for supper before returning to spend 3/4 of the night in the OR. When I entered the porch, there in all it's glory was the previously snatched-from-my-arms tomato plant. It had been delivered by the florist delivery van early Monday morning, causing some quizzical glances from the landlord. Being the always asstute business man he has been for years, my friend Joe had reconsidered and decided to gift me the potted tomato plant. I'm positive that this was in no way precipitated by any comment from Jane, or my blog post, but just merely a display of the great business sense my good friend has used throughout his career that built such a successful business that his parents would be so proud of.




In addition he had wanted to enclose a picture with his comment on that last post but being unable to do so, he called me at work to get my e-mail addy so he could send me his photo greeting to accompany the tomato.




I'm glad to see that he captured that tomato horn worm, (that is what you're hiding, isn't it Joe?) before delivering the plant.








Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger JP/deb said...

I love how you started out this post ... I felt like I was standing right next to you looking out at the shore ... you painted a living landscape with your words. Lovely, Rel!

JP/deb

11:18 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

When did you slip away to paradise?

I hope you have as wonderful a time as I am imagining you are having.

Best


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Your river retreat sounds wondrous.

Funny addition to the story of the tomato plant! (Maybe every time you hope for something, you will be able to blog about it, and it will magically come true!)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I just loved the description of the beautiful place where you live - I have got a better idea now and can picture that river more and more, the more you write about it.
Enthralling account of the tomato plant!!! Can't wait for next exciting instalment!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Rel, what a wonderful and peaceful place your cottage is situated at...I read your words describing it and could picture it all in my mind. That's when you wish you could take the whole summer off and just enjoy all that the cottage has to offer:-)

Well I'm glad to see you got that tomato plant after all!!! lol xox

2:19 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

That's so cool about the tomato plant. What a good guy.

10:53 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

Glad to see you're still documenting your life's journeys. I always love reading your entries, it's as if we're all there with you.

9:31 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

rel, for a sec you scared me with the picture of the worm!

2:08 AM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi.. it must be a thing about tomatoes, I am nursing two tiny little seedlings in the hope that they will survive the Aussie winter better than they survive the summer.

I think I am going to be envious - you will keep us up-to-date on the progress.. wont you?

Ditto what the others say too, lovely words, thankyou

Della

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home