Sunday, July 27, 2008

# 121 Solace
Solace: comfort in times of distress.

During the ice storm that left us without electricity for days, I found comfort in the radiating warmth from the woodstove. We were able to stay warm and cook food, and paradoxically discern the beauty of the disaster outside our windows.

Walking the rice paddy dykes in Nam, fearing an enemies bullet step by step, moment to moment, I found comfort in the images of the verdant countryside, and the smiling faces of the Vietnamese farmers.

In times of stress, or not, I've derived pleasure from the myriad of nature's offerings: sunrises, sunsets, foggy mornings, kayaking calm waters, rain storms beating a soothing rhythm on the metal roof, snow flakes the size of quarters falling on the darkest of nights, strolling barefoot on a deserted sandy beach, a yoga session, self hypnosis and more.

With all that in mind, I think there is no solace quite as strong as human touch.

You took my little hand
Wrapping it in yours.
Tears welling in my eyes,
We trod the path through the park
To that medieval fortress' doors.

Along the path of life
Other's hands touched mine
Or clapped me on the back.
Each one lifted me,
And I would feel fine.

You took my big hand
In your tiny frail one.
Reflecting, you spoke
In tone strong and clear;
You've always been a good son.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth said...

A very nice post, Rel, on what brings us comfort, and the poem was, needless to say, a very nice touch too. Interesting questions I am finding this morning, as I run through my blogroll, about what motivates and guides our lives, and encourages us to go on whenever we feel fragile, discouraged, or plain scared.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

that is beautiful...and i feel this touch as well as conveyed through your words.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Hands... solace in touch -- how wonderful! Enjoyed this.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Ah, a tear moves down my cheek. This post is so moving and lovely. Thank you!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hi Rel! So nice to visit you again! it's been too long.
this was so absolutely lovely to read.
Solace is wonderful coming from human touch.
so sweet rel.

5:34 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

It mae such a good read. Thanks Rel. Your posts always touch us in some way or the other!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Granny Smith said...

The hands as metaphor for loving was so well chosen! The illustrations are perfect for this post. I was moved by this.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Lovely tale and wonderful poem. Solace in the face of tragedy is an amazing thing to find.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

So glad your family arrived safely. Thanks for the great photos. happy Anniversary to the both of you. And I love what you wrote about the faces of the Vietnamese farmers - it says so much ....

4:42 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

A beautifully moving post. Quite excellent!

6:02 AM  
Blogger danni said...

your poem was so gentle and so moving - there surely is a solace attached to the touch of another!!!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I love that.
It's *absolutely* a fundamental trait of my character to hold hands, in fact... as irony would have it, I offered my hand to a friend in need just a few hours ago.

In May I had a bit of a hard time, and one of my friends was there for me, saying she wished she could do more.
I said 'you did what I asked you to do'.
What's that? she asked.

You held my hand, I said.

Life touch. Life is not meant to go through without hands to hold.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

4:47 PM  
Blogger Giggles said...

This makes me weak! Beautiful...so beautiful. You are such a loving man!

Hugs Giggles

8:04 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

the whole piece was wonderful but that poem left me with a hole in my heart.. and a huge lump in my throat.... damn you!!!!!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home